Working with someone who has FCP7...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nateo200, Oct 24, 2011.

1. nateo200, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm working with someone who has FCP7 and I have FCPX...I know you can't share projects between the two versions of Final Cut Pro but I don't think that will be an issue. Basically I put the short video together with everything but the special effects like gunshots, some minor chroma stuff, color correcting, etc. and I need to get it to my other guy who uses a 2010 MacBook with 3GB's of RAM...I exported the file as Apple ProRes 422 LT @ 2048x1080p 23.98fps and I'm curious if he will run into trouble with this..He doesn't have to transcode or render with ProRes right? If not what should I do? I have Compressor FYI (though I am a noob with it). Ultimately it is going to be then sent back to me with all the effects and I will export the master as H.264 2048x1080p then probably crop a bit for widescreen use on Vimeo...Help? Thanks in advance...

EDIT: Would Apple ProRes 422 proxy be decent? All of this was shot on Canon 550D's...

2. Oberhammer macrumors regular

He doesn't have to transcode or render with ProRes right?

Correct

Send it to him in ProRes light and he can open it fine.

----------

Would Apple ProRes 422 proxy be decent?

No

Send it in ProRes Lt format and it will be fine

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Why are you working at 2048x1080?

Exporting to ProRes LT should be fine.

When doing VFX/compositing work, I like to use clips with a couple of seconds padded in front/back (handles) in case I need it for adjustment down the road. Obviously this isn't possible if you're just giving him 1 output.

4. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

OK thanks. Just curious what is wrong with with 422 proxy? I understand the other ProRes codec "levels" but I don't get the ProRes proxy....
    Working at 2048x1080 because I wanted a bit more of a wide screen look but I'm just going to change it back to 1920x1080 and then adjust/crop the horizontal resolution for wide screen look.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

ProRes Proxy, as the name implies, is a low-res codec designed to be used for offline editing. When the offline edit is done only the footage that was used is replaced with full quality media for the online edit. It's a way to work to save space and increase performance.

Lethal

6. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hmm its seams a bit strange....I get the performance thing but I still don't get how you would translate the editing over...

Also one other question...do you guys have a good way to share large work loads? This file is about 1.5GB's and it won't fit in my drop box and I can't drive to my Fx/editing guy right away...I was thinking of posting to YouTube and letting him download from there but YouTube video downloads are nearly always chalked full of compression artifacts...

7. bretm macrumors 68000

Black levels in LT are grainy. ProRes 422 is your standard. LT is ugh. Doesn't hold up well over multiple passes, which is specifically what is going to be going on here too.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can just e-mail project files to each other.

If you sign up for a free YouSendIt that's good for 14 days. Or if you have a paid Vimeo account and you can upload 5gigs a week and I believe the source file is stored on Vimeo for a week and is available for download. The person on the receiving end needs a Vimeo account to download the source footage (but it can be a free account).

Lethal

9. hsilver macrumors regular

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/ProjectXto7/

Move a Final Cut Pro X Project to Final Cut Pro 7 and beyond!

Project X₂7 $49.99

Project X₂7 (Project 10 to 7) - an import translator for Final Cut Pro 7 - translates the brand new Final Cut Pro X Project XML (fcpxml) and converts it to Sequence XML for import into Final Cut Pro 7 or other applications.

Your Final Cut Pro Sequence XML is ready for:

Color
    Final Cut Server
    Premiere Pro and then dynamic link to
    After Effects
    Soundbooth
    Encore (for real Blu-ray authoring)
    FInal Cut Pro 7 and then to
    Soundtrack Pro
    Motion 4
    OMF output for ProTools, etc.
    EDL export
    Print to tape and Edit to tape

10. loungecorps macrumors member

download

davinci resolve lite 8.1 (free)

you can now import and export fcpxml and the old xml.