Workout app and average heart rate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nutmac, May 26, 2015.

1. nutmac macrumors 68040

IMHO, for a 1.0 product, Apple Watch is off to a great start.

Having said that, I find the process of starting a workout a bit more tedious than I would like, as well as interpreting the results afterward.

From what I can tell, the only way to initiate a workout is:
    1. Click the digital crown to go to the App screen
    2. Find and click Workout app
    3. Scroll and select the workout
    4. Set the calories
    5. Hit Start

Siri is probably another way to launch Workout app, but talking to my watch is often not possible (e.g., crowded gym) or undesirable.

What it should be: (1) click Activities complication, (2) scroll down, and (3) click Workout button.

And to end workout and interpret:
    1. Go back to the Workout app (which should be the current face unless you interacted with the watch)
    2. Force click and select End
    3. Scroll down on the Summary page to review and to save results

Workout offers only the raw numbers and nothing in the ways of interpreting results, particularly average heart rate.

From what I can gather, I am supposed to measure my maximum heart rate by running for 20 minutes or so (or derive a rough approximation by subtracting my age from 220), then open Health app on the iPhone.

On subsequent workouts, I am supposed to use average heart rate to see whether the workout was moderate (50-69% of the maximum) or hard (70-90%).

It's my understanding that I am supposed to start at low-end (50%) and gradually reaching 85% in the next 6 months? Anyway, if so, Apple Watch provides very little in the way of coaching.

Current Workout status page should minimally indicate what % my average heart rate is to the maximum. And I should be able to better compare my workout results.

2. sgw086 macrumors member

For as much as this watch does, people sure have a lot to complain about.