Workout App Stopped itself?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by vegetassj4, Jun 3, 2015.

1. vegetassj4, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

vegetassj4 macrumors regular

vegetassj4

I went for a bike ride yesterday and set the Workout App to 'outdoor cycle'. Upon returning the app had stopped at 28:16 and registered only 6.35 mi. The trip is actually 24 miles and takes me about 1hr and 25 minutes.

Is it possible to accidentally shut off an app?

2. Julien, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As far as I know the only way to quite recording on the Workout App is to Force Touch and hit End. Don't see how you could do this accidentally unless you Forced Touched then Paused and accidentally hit End when restarting.

3. vegetassj4, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015

vegetassj4 thread starter macrumors regular

vegetassj4

I did not pause or even touch the watch face, unless I bumped in into something.

4. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Not the same thing but...I went for a run last week and started the Workout app for Outdoor Run. Saw the countdown start and took off jogging. After about 5 minutes I looked down at my watch and when the screen lit up it was still on 1 of the countdown then the timer started. Very odd and it never happened again.

5. hak187 macrumors member

I had a similar thing happen when I was on a run. I was using both runkeeper and the workout app. About 1/2 way though my run I looked at my watch and it had stopped tracking my run. I don't know if I bumped it or what happened but it hasn't happened since then.

6. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I've had this happen several times and again today. I start a run through the Workout app on the AW and then about 2 miles into my run, I look down and the run was paused at 0.3 miles. I didn't touch the watch (or even bumped into anything) at all after I started the run and didn't even raise it up to glance until I saw it paused.

Frustrating that I can't rely on this app 100% to stay active, let alone the inaccurate distance after many supposed "calibrations" that Apple has outlined.

7. cjking2007 macrumors newbie

cjking2007

I have also had this happen several times over the past week, the last one being this afternoon. I start an "other" workout, then workout for 20-30 minutes, or more. When I go to end the workout I find it has paused on it's own about halfway through the workout. It's very frustrating. I agree that the app cannot be relied upon to accurately record activity. I always have a Garmin on my other wrist as a backup.

8. nicho macrumors 68000

how tightly are you wearing your watches and how far up the wrist? i think it pauses if you remove the watch (or it incorrectly detects that you have...)

9. cjking2007 macrumors newbie

cjking2007

That might be the problem. I'm going to move it up a little on my wrist and make sure it feels snug. I'm biking today so I will see if that makes a difference.

10. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

This makes complete sense and is most likely the cause. And now we know there's room for improvement on wrist detection for different functions of the watch.

11. cjking2007 macrumors newbie

cjking2007

I did a 2 hour bike ride today, making sure the watch was snug on my wrist. The app stayed on for the entire time, no unexpected pauses.

12. vegetassj4 thread starter macrumors regular

vegetassj4