Workout app very incorrect

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blasto333, Jul 22, 2015.

1. blasto333 macrumors regular

My workout app said I went over 5000 miles. And one other time it was over 100 miles. Also it doesn't seem to update my exercise amount on my activity ring.

I am running watch OS 1.01 and iOS 9 public beta

The device is almost useless if it cannot do these 2 things correctly.

2. gadgetjunkie1 macrumors newbie

gadgetjunkie1

Excercise has to be the equivalent to a brisk walk, if your pulse doesn't get up there, it won't see it as Excercise, even if you have a workout going...I've walked for 90 mins, did 8.5kms but a slow walk, earned only 1 minute of "Excercise" out of 30

3. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand it needs to be brisk. It was working before where I would get 20 minutes out of a 30 minute walk. Now I get 1 or 2. My pulse is around 120-130 when I check it.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you update from watch OS 1.0 to 1.01? If so, that totally changed the way it measures exercise. I used to get 15-30 minutes of exercise a day just from walking during my commute. Now I barely get 5 minutes.

5. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Counting calories is another thing that it seem to do it wrong. Or all workout machines on my local pure gym do it wrong. And the deference goes by hundreds of calories per per workout session. If I burn 600 calories on the treadmill, the Apple watch would say around 400 calories.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Remember, the watch uses your heart rate, weight and height, while the treadmill is a generic counter. The watch is going to be more accurate.

7. Wando64 macrumors 6502

What makes you think that the AW uses the heart rate to determine calories usage?

EDIT: Actually I can see that the Apple blurb mentions the use of HR to aid determining calories usage. Please ignore my question.

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

For me I'm still getting almost all exercise allocated pretty much anytime I'm walking steadily place to place.

9. fanta88 macrumors 6502

That's some pretty wild variance. Although depending on the type of workout the app is inaccurate for me, too.

However, it does always give me credit for a workout (however inaccurately measured) on the activity rings when I exit the workout and save the results.

Honestly, I've kind of written off the workout app and activity rings because I find them unreliable/gimmicky. I guess that's kind of sad.

10. sailermon macrumors member

I am extremely disappointed with what they did with the workout app in the second OS release. I initially got credit for brisk 20-minute walks, which was a constant incentive to me. Now, I do the exact same walk for 20 minutes and get 1 minute of exercise. My heart rate is 110-115 , which should be more than enough to be counted as exercise. We can't just ignore this flaw because it is a major feature. If it isn't fixed in the new watch OS coming out this fall I am going to do some serious complaining, as all of us should.

11. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

And this is what's puzzling me, I still get these sorts of walks credited all the time.

12. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Realistically, all of these devices are making estimates and none of them will be highly accurate.
    There's a decent chance the Apple Watch is better than the Gym equipment, though.
    Like someone else mentioned, the Apple Watch can measure your heart rate. So.. resting heart rate vs. current heart rate + your weight and age + steps and other movement data, should allow it to come up with a decent estimate.

One other thing: the Apple Watch distinguishes between active calories burned vs. resting calories (the calories you would have burned just being alive and sitting down during the same period of time). The exercise equipment isn't necessarily attempting to do that.

13. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

See how it is way off 5000+ miles. I cannot believe I am the only one

Attached Files:

14. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I wonder if the watch is massively mis-calibrated. Like, what if the phone was getting bad GPS while it was initially calibrating. What if you unpaired and re-paired the watch. If that clears the calibration, then maybe a fresh start will help.

15. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

It worked fine today. It only happened twice but it is random. I always run/walk with phone.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Could it be a beta bug?

17. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not using watch OS 2 beta and I am not sure how the iOS 9 beta would cause the watch to have issues...ha never know though.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Isn't the Activity app part of iOS 9?

19. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

It is but on the watch I am assuming it is a native app. The iPhone and the watch are both inaccurate.