Workout App - when are more workout profiles coming?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MartyCan, Dec 16, 2015.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Love my watch but I do a lot of my workouts in formats that don't suit the limited number of choices in the workout app. I end up using "other" for most workouts but it only credits you for calories burned based on a brisk walk pace.

At the gym I wear my Wahoo BT strap to record workouts along with my Watch. If my watch (using "other") shows 600 active / 800 total calories the Wahoo strap reports 1200 calories for a weight/resistance workout. Same thing for playing hockey.

When are they going to add more workout profiles so I can record them more accurately?

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

For fitness oriented functionality Apple has remained behind the curve. Too little too late, go with a proven purpose built fitness tracker and you will be well satisfied.

3. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I'm too wrapped up in the Apple Ecosystem to bother with another product I am afraid. I can be patient but I would like to see some profiles added with each update to WatchOS

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Was this with the Wahoo strap paired with the watch, or with the phone?

Anyway, HR-to-calorie estimation is nebulous at best, and often simply wrong. Wattage can be better for conversion but not always measurable.

6. nicho macrumors 68000

Where are you getting these numbers from for the wahoo strap?

Are you using it instead of the Apple Watch HRM or in addition to it ?

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am afraid you will be disappointed. I do not think Apple is going to do anything to the Apple apps in the fitness area.

They possibly might introduce some new functions in their apps when the AW2 arrive next spring but they likely will only work with the new hardware.

Apple expect you to look at 3rd party software.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Anaerobic activities can't be accurately measured (since HR is not directly related to caloric burn) and will be 'all over the map'. Most anaerobic activities can only estimate caloric burn based on the time preformed since there no real way to objectively assess effort. So it would be pointless to add them. Apple is not likely to add 'useless' Profiles and will just offer Other.

9. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Other is already a useless profile.

Surely they could come up with some reasonable estimate for other activities.