Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
Workout app calculates speed and distance from your step/stride length doesn't it? Gps just calibrates it?

I believe so. I had my phone with me as well running strava during the ride.
I went several miles and my distance shows 0 and my workout time shows that it was only 26 minutes when it was actually 40 minutes.

Jim4D

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
It worked for me, with all sorts running.

Preloaded strava on my phone and loaded up co-rider for navigation

Set workout for outdoor cycle open distance and started strava on the watch via glances and left this as my watch screen during ride.

Watch and Strava calculated same distance travelled, calorie discrepancy between the 2 apps was about 200 calories over 40 miles so not bad, workout used the watch HRM strava used its own algorithm without sensors.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
so this works with GPS? the Nike+ app doesn't record were you ran! I like looking at my map just like the iPhone app! this really sucks if you can't do that!

paulshort18

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Let us know what they say please.

After 5 minutes on hold whilst the Apple rep spoke to an "expert" the best they came up with was to unpair, then pair my watch again with my iPhone . I didn't do this but did try using the Workout app again on my bike, and this time it worked :)

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
Okay so I found the fix for this after calling Apple yesterday. You have to have motion calibration and distance on your iPhone . It's under settings-privacy-system services-toggle the motion calibration and distance switch.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2009
California
So you have to run both Strava and Workout app every time? Strava doesn't just port your ride info to the activity app? I know Strava cannot monitor your heart rate unless you use something with it but will it record at least the distance and speed?

It worked for me, with all sorts running.

Preloaded strava on my phone and loaded up co-rider for navigation

Set workout for outdoor cycle open distance and started strava on the watch via glances and left this as my watch screen during ride.

Watch and Strava calculated same distance travelled, calorie discrepancy between the 2 apps was about 200 calories over 40 miles so not bad, workout used the watch HRM strava used its own algorithm without sensors.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I've had this issue with my watch as well - and I also had the Settings/Privacy/Location Services/System Services/"Motion Calibration & Distance" set to off :(

I just changed it, but I don't think I'll be back on my bike for a few days. I'll post an update when I do.

This makes sense to be the cause. It also makes me see how running would overstate my distance by about 10%, even when I was running with the phone.

I wonder if this will have an effect on phone battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.