Workout apps not showing distance/speed while biking

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DrewDaHilp1, Apr 27, 2015.

1. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

As the title says. Anyone else having this issue? Am I over looking something?
    I had my phone with me as well running Strava during the ride.
    I went several miles and my distance shows 0 and my workout time shows that it was only 26 minutes when it was actually 40 minutes.

2. tpouliot macrumors member

I have biked a few times (not long distances) but it has given me loads of data. Time, active calories, resting calories (stopped at red lights), speed, temp, distance.

I assume you actually hit start on the workout. I forgot to do this once.

3. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yes I hit start. While moving the time was increasing, however the distance and speed were flat lined.

4. SayenCroWolf macrumors member

total guess as as I'm far from an expert. Check your GPS settings, are they all where they're supposed to be?

5. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yes they are. The location, time and route were correct on the Strava app.

6. SayenCroWolf macrumors member

In that case, I got nothin'...

Post your solution if/when you find it. I just got Strava and a new Giant. I'm heading out if I have cooperative weather this weekend.

7. spampy22 macrumors member

8. cai4651 macrumors newbie

Users are saying in this forum, that if you run another app with gps , the watch can't pull gps data from iphone . Do you try to only run the workout app in your watch? To see if that is your problem... for future reference ;)

9. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'll try it again soon and post the results.

10. Andy in Embsay macrumors member

I ran workout with nothing else running on the phone, plus my Garmin Edge - they were pretty much spot on over 15 miles on the bike. I'm not sure whether the same can be said for running when it was 0.15m short on a 4m run (again with no phone app running).

11. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I don't know, being 15 centimeters off on a 4 meter run seems okay to me :)

12. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I can confirm this. It is because you had Strava running also. One or the other i am afraid.

13. Andy in Embsay macrumors member

I'm not convinced the outdoor run workout uses GPS at all - admittedly based on one run - but it was a known distance with a Garmin on the other arm. The AW was 0.15 miles short.

14. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Could that be due to the path you've taken on the route?

15. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

I suspected this but def highly unlikely. Apps pulls GPS data from core location APIs. If you read apple dev docs, multiple apps can poll this API. The OS determines how often to call the GPS radio for a new position which eats battery life. If two apps request access close together, core location will just feed the same data to the second app.

However, what I have discovered is that you may need to have the motion activity and distance location service on for the watch to use GPS. This is how the Nike+ app used to work which apple codeveloped. If that is not on, go to privacy - location services - system services and turn it on

16. Andy in Embsay macrumors member

Nope. I had a Garmin one one wrist and the AW on the other.

I did another run with Strava running - it measured 4.5m exactly (a route I know is 4.5m) - the watch measured 4.15m.

----------

It's always been on on my phone.

----------

It's always been on on my phone.

17. blastair macrumors regular

blastair

It's Strava's fault. I did a 30 mile ride over the weekend. Halfway through I stopped to make sure the info showing on the watch was also syncing to Strava. Not sure what happened, but both the Watch and iPhone app immediately zeroed out and I lost half my ride.

For the second half of my ride, I used the Watch's exercise app and Strava independently only on my iPhone (removed it from the Watch to avoid any problems). Both measured the ride effectively, so I'm pretty sure you don't have to choose between the two.

One other thing, and this may just be a bug, but it seems like the official Watch exercise app is able to "take over" when you are in the middle of working out, so that when you tilt your Watch it shows not the watch face, but your exercise progress. As far as I can tell, third party apps can't do this (when I tilt to see my Strava progress, it instead shows the watch app). I know there is a setting to always show the last used app, but I would rather keep the default behavior.

This is probably a Strava Watch app deal-breaker for me, as I'd rather not take both my hands off the bike to check my Strava progress. On the other hand, I really enjoyed using the Watch exercise app; having my current speed available motivated me to push myself and break some Strava records (running on my phone).

18. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Okay so I found the fix for this after calling Apple yesterday. You have to have motion calibration and distance on your iPhone . It's under settings-privacy-system services-toggle the motion calibration and distance switch.

19. Dillybird macrumors newbie

privacy -> location -> system services

That's where the map of everywhere the phone has ever been is, too.