Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I just did a few minutes on my bike, and instead of "Indoor Cycle", I hit "Indoor Walk" by mistake. I thought, Hey, no problem, I don't care if my exercise is registered under the wrong title so long as I get my exercise ring credits and calorie data.

Except the problem was: I didn't. I had input a workout for 25cals (I prefer little and often to long workout sessions) which I usually hit by about 6 or 7 minutes. Only I didn't this time, and by 9 minutes, I was wondering what was wrong. I checked my calorie burn to see that it was only at 12.

Considering I was doing my usual pace on the bike, my HR was presumably at my usual exercise level, and I don't think I was cold enough for that to be the cause of the problem. Basically, it seems like it does not calculate calorie burn exclusively on HR, but seems to also factor in the activity involved as well?

Anyone else experience similar, or was my Watch just having a weird moment?

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
It seems more and more than that the cool HR monitor for burning calories is useless. Apple Watch has helped me be more active, so much so I think it's time for a Fit Bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.