Workout Exercise Program App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Doju, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Can anyone recommend a good workout app? I've tried ones like iFitness and Gym Goal Lite, but none of them allow what I want (and what a workout app should have).

The ability to make your own workouts. Take one type of exercise (such as bicep curls) and add it to your workout routine for that day, and have perhaps a three day split with workouts in each. The ability to 'check off' the workout when you finish it would be terrific too.

A simply 'log your custom workout routine' app would be incredible.

2. TripleJ macrumors regular

have you tried ipump? I've been tempted to get that.

3. moviecouple macrumors regular

Get GymGoal Lite. Has everything you need to make your own customize workouts. Add your own custom Machines/Free Weights/Exercises/Routines. Also tracks One Rep, BMI, BMR, Weight. I even have my Bike and Treadmill routines in there too. Great program. Needs a few more small tweaks here an there, but nothing too drastic. 4 1/2 out of 5 so far.

Has a small learning curve to get up and running. Should only take 15 minutes or so.

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I have that one movie but how do I add an excercise to a routine? I see edit/copy and when I hit edit I can only delete.

5. diesel macrumors 6502a

gym goal lite is one of the WORST apps that i've ever come across. The workflow in this app is terrible, non intuitive, and time consuming. After using it for several minutes, it was clear to me that the audience that gym goal lite was going after was the "less experienced" gym types. I say that because gym goal lite seemed good in terms of letting you know what exercises to do for the different parts of the body, but as an efficient way to create custom workouts and log your workouts, it was terrible. Way too much work involved.

Try out gym buddy, it was release earlier this week and I find that it works the best. I'm a gym rat, i lift weights 5 days a week and have been looking for a workout logging app, not an app to tell me how exercises are executed, or what exercises to do for the different parts of the body. Gym buddy is completely customizeable, you can add your own exercises, and create custom workouts and when you're at the gym, you can select from a custom workout and then begin logging reps/weights for the exercises within that workout. The workflow is intuitive, and very efficient.

I've bought and tried gym goal lite, fit phone, and gym buddy and i find gym buddy works best as a pure custom workout creation and logging app. Well at least until gyminee gets off their lazy butts and creates an app for their site/service.

6. diesel macrumors 6502a

web apps are crap, a lot of gyms have unreliable cell coverage so the gyminee web app is not for me. Also because their web app DOES NOT allow you to create custom workouts on the fly. they have to be preconfigured via their site.

with that said, i hope that they do come out with an iphone app, though i don't think it will be anytime soon since they seem to have determined a native app is of low priority or simply DO NOT have the technical know how to create one at the moment.

7. moviecouple macrumors regular

I disagree with Diesel. I think it is much easier to move and log around in GymGoal Lite. I downloaded Gym Buddy and don't seem to like it as much. Just my opinion though.

Maybe I just got used to how things work in GGL and quickly can do what I need. I have Custom Workouts for my regiment. Upper, Lower, Full, whatever I need I just create. Customized workouts and customized exercises.

Easy for me.

8. isaki87 macrumors regular

Now that SmalTek has released the updates for GymGoal Lite, it is one of the best exercise and Fitness apps out there.

9. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

GymGoal Lite here as well. Creating new workout programs and logging them is easy and fast once you learn how to do it (there was a bug in an earlier version that made all that very time consuming, but it's been fixed). All the app needs is better bodyweight support (I'm a bodyweight enthusiast) and graphs.

10. oneEG6 macrumors member

Gymgoal Lite works great for me, and I'm not a beginner or "less experienced" as someone posted earlier. I usually do a split routine and have my workouts organized by body part. I can go in, see my favorites and log my exercise in seconds. It keeps your last entry in the entry page so you can quickly see what you did last time, change if you want.

They've made some very good progress with updates as of recently. Some cosmetic ones which were needed, and smoother functionality. It has a spot to backup your data to their server also which is nice.

11. IndieVentures macrumors newbie

You can guys can also check out MyTrainer. We have just released it.

You can follow our growing database of workouts or just upload your own. Main difference in our app is that it is designed to walk you through a workout and not just give you a list of exercises.

Here is the iTunes Link:http://tinyurl.com/cpwds8

[​IMG]

12. Pumapayam macrumors member

Pumapayam

I've been using iFitness and have really enjoyed it. I know they have updating since then to include what you have mentioned.

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

iStayFit is the best one I've found. I've used MyTrainer, iPump and Gym Goal and this one is the easiest to use with the most options.

Creating personalized workouts is as easy as it gets, the log is easy to read and you have the ability to check off the exercises you've completed. Plus there's a scale on the start page so you can remember to record your weight each day.

14. Haqq macrumors member

I need one that will remind me when its time for me to eat. Because I'm bulking right now and I have to eat like 5/6 times a day.

Anyone? Thanks!

15. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

There aren't any apps that'll do that, cause third party apps can't run in the background, and most people aren't keeping their workout apps open all day, so there's no demand for developers to add in alarms for an eating schedule.

Your best route would probably be to use Apple's built-in alarm, set it for several times everyday, and label the alarms 'eat' or whatever.

16. adleywatson1979 macrumors newbie

Swimming is the best exercise provided oppertunity exists.Half an hour swimming / day x 5 daya a week.All your joints become functional.Scope for movement of all body parts
    Brisk walking comes the next. Again half an hour a day x 5 days a week.
    Slow cycling is also equally good atleast half an hour a day.
    Dancing / dance practice itself is an adequate exercise to keep you fit.
    Weight lifting & gym practices are for body building & not advocated as routine exercise.
    Pranayam is a good breathing exercise for people with lung diseases & other ill conditions specifically.Our routine activities are more/ less equivalent to pranayam. Besides this if interested in doing some workouts for body building or for muscles building then you take tips from Building Muscles

17. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

I'm looking for something to log my workouts and perhaps more importantly to show a graphical representation of progress.

I guess there may have been some more apps released since March, so I figured I'd ask again...

so far from my searching it looks like Flex Workout Log is the best to suit my needs. the graphs look good, plus stats for different bodyparts and all the usual BMI, etc.

what I don't need is an app loaded with hundreds of exercises that I'll never do.

so what do we reckon is best for graphing and showing stats?

18. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

You could have a look at [app]Bodybook Fitness Journal[/app].

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

cheers for that, i was just having a look at it - saw it in one of the 'best app' threads. looks like i could create custom stats for body measurements. looks good.

20. neileaque01 macrumors newbie

Workout Exercise Program App

This is a great simple workout routine for anyone that is a beginner or someone looking to switch up their current routine to infuse muscle confusion. This also includes videos on how to do each exercise.

DietingHub.com is a new diet, health, and nutrition forum looking for new active members. If you yourself know alot about fitness, or want to help out please visit us at

http://www.DietingHub.com
    Diet. Health. Nutrition.

==
    workout routines

21. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

22. Jollala macrumors newbie

It is often mentioned that swimming is one of the best exercises you can put your body through, using a combination of muscles throughout the entire body that few other exercises can match.
    As we know exercise can help in growing taller naturally, this would naturally lead us to the question of whether or not swimming is a good exercise routine for increasing your height.

23. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

IPump is a great App once you figure it out worth every penny.

24. thenamesbryce macrumors newbie

I tried downloading the app but it said it was no longer available. What happened it looked awesome!