Workout heart rate erratic.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lk400, May 22, 2015.

1. lk400 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else finding the heart rate measure during workout is very erratic?

Mine will go from 140 or 150 down to 60 or 70 then back up again. If I hold my arm out so the watch is on top and leave it like it for a minute it usually makes it get a proper reading, but I'm not willing to do this all the time. It also often drops out and can't read the heart rate at all. This is with or without sweat (although sweat makes it worse). Happens while jogging, but is worst while doing a weight session. The band is tight enough to leave a mark.

Wondering if this is a design issue or if I should go back to apple.

2. WayneHixson macrumors member

That is what my Mio watch would do all the time, and it uses similar technology. My AW however has been very consistent, at least during vigorous walks.

3. lk400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the insight. I find vigorous walking is the one exercise where it is quite consistent. Jogging not and running being not quite as good. Weight training being the worst.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

For cardio wear it slightly tight and move it up your wrist ½" to 1" above normal.

Weight training is a whole other animal with too many variables to list, but the main two are (all 3 -2s in 1 sentence :D) :

1. Arteries are constricted when lifting and give a 'false' reading.
    2. HR is very dynamic and less important (or observable) than BP.

[​IMG]

5. lk400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips, and the 2s. I didn't think about the arteries being constricted that's interesting. I do wear it up a bit higher when I use the sport band. I think similar to you.

Attached Files:

6. taff2003 macrumors member

I wear mine higher up my arm than normal when training too - and tighten the band a notch to keep it in place.

7. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1877025

8. lk400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! Your data looks exactly like mine. What was the result for you - did you end up taking it back to apple?

9. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

No. I found if I wear the band really tight for exercising it works better. Still not convinced it's desperately accurate though and after the latest update who knows.

10. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I find the complete OPPOSITE to be my problem. My AW seems TOO consistent to be accurate. I've only been running once since I got mine, but every time I checked my heart rate while running, it basically always said 180. It would drop or increase a couple bpm from time to time, but not often. This doesn't seem accurate.

I used a chest strap HRM a long time ago that jumped all over the place and seemed more sensitive to pace changes, unlike my AW. I was constantly changing my pace to keep my heart rate up, but with my AW, this wasn't really necessary.