Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joealanjones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Hi all,

I know there is going to be an iPhone version of the activity app, but is there any news about a companion iPhone app for the workout watch app? i.e. For looking at workouts vs each other etc.

If you are a runner; do you plan to use the workouts app or stick with a 3rd party option like runkeeper?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Hi all,

I know there is going to be an iPhone version of the activity app, but is there any news about a companion iPhone app for the workout watch app? i.e. For looking at workouts vs each other etc.

If you are a runner; do you plan to use the workouts app or stick with a 3rd party option like runkeeper?

I think the workout app on the watch is essentially just to tell the watch what you're about to do, and have it time you or measure distance and what not. I imagine the results will show up in your Health and Activity apps? I could be wrong though. Also, I'm hoping for Mac companion apps.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
All the major workout apps for the iPhone will have a Watch version and they two will work together.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hi all,

Right now I have a Garmin 620 and I use Nike+ (have used and have many iPhone Apps) with my iPhone as a backup mapping. I will keep using my Garmin and supplement with the :apple:Watch. For me the :apple:Watch/Workout App has to prove and provided at least 3 metrics that are in question.

1) HR monitor accuracy (a big challenge for optical)
2) Mapping info
3) Standard TCX or GPX file export/access if #2 is yes

So far I have not seen any screen shots that indicts Apple will offer run mapping. Hoping to see this answered when Apple releases the Workout Guided Tour film. Though ift is slated to be the last one released.

----------

All the major workout apps for the iPhone will have a Watch version and they two will work together.

...but they won't have access to the HR sensor so you will have to wear a BT HR strap paired to your iPhone.:eek:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
...but they won't have access to the HR sensor so you will have to wear a BT HR strap paired to your iPhone.:eek:
I know this isn't the best solution, but couldn't you use the workout app and whatever other app at the same time?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I know this isn't the best solution, but couldn't you use the workout app and whatever other app at the same time?

Been thinking about this myself. Hard to say. Not sure if you could have the Workout App running in the bakground wile using the Nike + App on the :apple:Watch. You probobly can have the Nike + App runnining on the iPhone while using the Workout App on the :apple:Watch. However doing it this way you could not monitor/control your Nike+ app from the :apple:Watch.

Can't wait to find out though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.