Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
After upgrading to iOS 17.4.1, I noticed a "Segments" section in the Workout-details of my Walking workout.
Unless I'm losing my mind, that wasn't there before - am I correct?
So, what are these segments, I wonder. Anyone?

IMG_2699.PNG

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
hi
segments have been part of the Workout app for quite a while. so not new.
in your workout app, when you chose your activity type and measurement goal, there is a way to set Preferences and you can set the segment there to notify you of a segment being reached.
however, i gave up on them entirely, as i never figured out how to really use them in my workouts.
as you see in your screen shot, Segment 1 is 5.58 km with a total time of 47.32 minutes. its a weird length/tiime.
i think you can also see on the map representation of your workout where that segment is from start to finish.

Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
hi
segments have been part of the Workout app for quite a while. so not new.
in your workout app, when you chose your activity type and measurement goal, there is a way to set Preferences and you can set the segment there to notify you of a segment being reached.
however, i gave up on them entirely, as i never figured out how to really use them in my workouts.
as you see in your screen shot, Segment 1 is 5.58 km with a total time of 47.32 minutes. its a weird length/tiime.
i think you can also see on the map representation of your workout where that segment is from start to finish.
Thanks for your assistance.
If the attached screenshot is the one you refer to, everything is set to "Geen" = "None".
What's more, until today I never had Segments showing up in my workout-details.
No idea why, out of the blue, they did show up today - unless of course it's yet another bug.
And the numbers are indeed weird.

BTW I disabled the map representation a while ago to save battery power.

segments.PNG

Reactions: arc of the universe

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
i think you are right, as they appear in my workout records as well.
i think that i was simply not noticing them these days because i had successfully turned the notifications off (as you have) and by doing that it stopped them from giving audible notifications during my workouts (which was the really annoying part of segments).
i also recall that if you do turn on segments you can set their value to a logical number such as 5 km or whatever.

but i think the more intriguing part of this is why it sets such at-first-glance strange (seemingly arbitrary) points for the segment.
i want to think it is looking at my workout map's relevant data (elevation, turn around point, etc) and finding maybe a logical segment length.
i still think that is apple's intention in the case where a user does not override it with his/her own segment length.
here is why i think that apple is trying to figure out a logical segment length based on a variety of inputs:

1. in my own workouts, the segment that apple calculated was remarkably close to my workout's actual point where i was furthest from home and began to turn back towards home. i frequently would rest there for a minute or two (as it was on a hill and the view was very nice). it was uncanny that this location was an apple marked segment. but maybe just coincidental...

2. the following paragraph is from apple's documentation on segments:
(its talking about a specific case for pool swimming)
Because your screen locks during swimming workouts, you can't mark segments. But in Pool Swim workouts, sets are marked automatically every time you rest at the side of the pool for 10 seconds or longer. Auto Sets show up in the workout summary in the Fitness app on your iPhone.
end quote

i think it is trying to identify some logical point/time/elevation/repeated activity point and making that into a segment.
it would make no sense that it is a completely arbitrary data point. its more likely a calculated data point of some sort.

Last edited:
Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Thanks again, interesting comment indeed !
I tried to align the segments to other elements of my workout (distance, heart beat), but couldn't find a logical reason for the segment split.
This morning, same walking tour, but at a bit slower pace: no segments showing in the Workout details. Go figure...

NoSegments.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.