Workout timing not working?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mcvaughan, Jun 5, 2017.

1. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

So went for an outdoor walk I know I went longer than it said. Seems to be off since updating to 3.2.2?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I think it only actually counts it when it considers walking fast enough now

3. mcvaughan thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Are you accidentally setting to Outdoor Run instead of Outdoor Walk and have Auto Pause On?

5. mcvaughan thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Is the map incomplete or does it track your entire walk?

7. mcvaughan thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, I think you've nailed it. It's undeveloped land near my house, so it could be that there's no mapped area.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No thats not it or what I'm asking. Check the map in the iPhone Activity app of your walk and see if it is complete. Here is a map of a run I did and the Auto Pause 'got stuck' (I think) and I lost about ½ of a mile. You can see the missing line in the map that starts under the 41 sign and started back recording near the M in Mill.

[​IMG]

9. mcvaughan thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what it looks like.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    Here's another example from my girlfriend -- she's having same issue as well.

Attached Files:

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You're walking too slowly. Even though your workout time is 37 minutes, you don't get exercise credit for any minute that you're not walking at about a 3.5 mph pace.

That workout that you're showing is an average pace of 2.3 mph.

There is a difference between Exercise minutes and Workout minutes. They have different criteria.

Exercise minutes is the Green Ring. You get credit for an Exercise minute when you average 3.5 mph for a complete minute. Note that this is based on hand movement (and perhaps on GPS when available).

Workout minutes do not contribute directly to the Green Ring. They accumulate only when you use the Workout app or a 3rd Party app (like Nike Run Club).

I bet you will see that 37 minute in your Workout Minutes tab on your phone.

11. mcvaughan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Makes sense. Thx for the explanation. On my walk last evening I kept the pace high and it seemed to work perfectly.

12. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The green ring accumulates just fine for me when I walk briskly without running an excercise program.

13. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

The green ring is based on Exercise minutes.

Workout minutes only accumulate when you're using the workout app or an appropriate 3rd party app. Workout minutes do not contribute to the green ring in a direct 1 to 1 manner. They can overlap, but as the OP has shown, if you do a walking workout, but walk slowly, you'll get workout minutes, but not necessarily Exercise/Green Ring minutes.