Works As Advertised -gate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by joshcls, Apr 29, 2015.

1. joshcls, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

joshcls macrumors 6502

joshcls

I picked my 42mm Space Gray Apple Watch Sport up from UPS Monday morning.

I've been using for 3 days, and have had no problems.
    It works exactly as expected/advertised.

It's a lot smaller than I expected, but in a good way.
    It's beautifully designed, and very light.
    The screen is bright and gorgeous.
    I'm very happy I went with the Sport aesthetically and budget wise.

It's remarkable for a first gen product, truly.

Everyone asks me about it, and asks to see it.
    Most people with low expectations are impressed once they finally see it, that it's "much better than they were expecting"

Minus the cashier at Walgreens yesterday, hoping I didn't get robbed...

It tells the time wonderfully.
    These watch faces are just great.
    I've taken a fancy to the Modular, I hope there are more options for feature rich faces in the future.

Battery life is great / It charges from dead to full in ~2 hours.
    Used it extensively yesterday, taking it off the charger at 7am and still had 20% gas in the tank at midnight last night. Been off the charger now 13 hours today, and I just dropped to 50%.

All notifications seem to be working.
    I've received all notifications I'm supposed to be receiving. No issues or errors there.

All taptic feedback is working.
    Taps me when it's supposed to, I haven't missed very many. I do have it on the heaviest non-prominent setting.

Heart rate monitor is working.
    Had no issues, worked great on my jog today!

"Hey Siri" on wrist raise works great.
    Had no problems with getting her to do my bidding when raising my wrist.

No Wrist detection problems
    I do have a wrist tattoo, but it's on the inside away from the watch face. If you were supposed to wear the watch on the inside, I might be in trouble... but, I've had no problems with wrist detection not working / having to type in a passcode 100 times.

Activate on wrist raise is working just fine.
    The only time it doesn't, is if I have my hands over my head and bring it down (relaxing on the couch) or something. But even then --- you just tap the screen and it poofs on. Cover it up with your palm to turn it off.

No black sport band problems.
    The black sport band is durable and soft. Holds steady, and no "peeling" or otherwise.

It's not annoying & enables me to keep my phone out of reach.
    I love it. It's liberating and freeing. I know there's nothing important happening.
    It stops me from going down the rabbit hole that is my phone --- so often I get a notification that's not really important, and the next thing I know I'm playing Clash of Clans instead of working. With the super quick interaction time, it helps curb that.

The only thing I haven't tested it with is a third party bluetooth device, so I cannot speak to that yet.

Everyone just seems to have some sort of issue, or problem.
    So often, we only see the negative, and try to turn it into the next "-gate"
    I just wanted to report that mine works wonderfully, as expected... and I'm very pleased with it.

Haters gonna hate.

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

3. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

Man, I'm having the exact same issue too...maybe it's something in our production line...I have to say I'm extremely happy. :cool:

4. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

I never have any issue. I always say that the majority of the complaining done on these forums is from USER ERROR! Some people just don't understand, but seems like you have it on lockdown!

Can't wait to get my works as advertised-gate watch! :apple:

5. Spooky73 macrumors member

I'm with you guys. Works exactly how I expected and hoped. A great, convenient partner to the iPhone.

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Agreed. Me too. :) However, I am not agreeing that the watch is perfect. It has rough edges. Some oddities have crept into my life and other things seem to come and go :confused: . It is a version 1.0 work in progress. Even with warts and all, it is a definite keeper. Would buy from seller again.

7. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I haven't even had a single bug, hang, restart, or re-pair.

Shhhhhh. :cool:;)

8. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Worst beta testing experience ever...

After the honeymoon of the first day (where it arrived with 70 and some charge), I have yet to reach 50% battery, and my iPhone usage has been the same or better... I must be doing something wrong.

9. joshcls thread starter macrumors 6502

joshcls

Of course it's not perfect, but for a v1 device, it's a fantastic.

10. ohwevad macrumors member

That's rather dismissive. And odd considering you switched models because of reported crown problems.

11. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

12. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I have to agree. After an initial rough start with the notifications, which was definitely a case of user error, I've had no problems. I picked up my phone last night and saw 80+% battery, when I would normally be at 20+% battery. Wow! Over the last 5 days, the watch is usually at 30+/-% each night when I put it on the charger.

A friend was texting me like crazy this afternoon while I was working. She knows I have the watch, and I think she was purposefully trying to drive me a little crazy. Little does she realize, it's so easy now to either completely ignore the notifications until I'm ready to read them, or just flip my wrist, quickly read a text, determine it's not a life and death emergency and totally ignore it until I have more time to concentrate on sending a response. Although I have to admit, when I read the text that said "I don't think your watch is working!", I did send her one of the new animated emojis that made it clear I was not amused. :D It used to be that I would hear the constant dinging of incoming messages and I would just have to stop what I was doing and pay attention to whatever was happening on my phone. No longer.

Loving it!

13. Unconsoled macrumors regular

Same boat here. Love this watch.

And this thread. Thank OP.

14. Symtex macrumors 6502a

WAA-Gate ?

I feel the same about. Mine but it has only been 3 hours

15. jjm3 macrumors member

jjm3

Haters gonna hate gate. :D

16. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Care to elaborate?

17. MCA11 macrumors newbie

I have actually developed a much deeper love of my iPhone 6 plus while endlessly surfing this forum for the last week waiting for my stainless Milanese to ship (finally arrives tomorrow!). I used the time to find new things to do and optimize my mobile ahead of the watch coming.

That being said. I am dying to put this thing down, give my thumbs a rest and start living off the screen more (I've learned from this experience I don't handle first gen preorders well). Thankfully I have a very understanding wife willing to tune out the endless watch feed I became.

OP the things you have found in the watch are exactly what I am looking for in it, and I'm very happy everyone has been sharing their journeys over the last week with it. Answered so many questions I had about technical information, bugs and use theory. Thank you all!