Workspaces in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vbmike73, Mar 9, 2011.

1. vbmike73 macrumors regular

I'm really not grasping the concept behind Spaces, and maybe it's what I need and I'm just not using it correctly.

What I want is to set up a group of windows and apps for doing a certain task. Say for task 1, I need to have iTunes open in the top left, Safari open in the top right, and 3 finder windows open to certain folders on the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to assign that "look" to something (Spaces I thought) so that I can launch that setup, which then launches the appropriate windows the way I want them arranged? Does this make sense?

Basically I just want to be able to save how my screen looks, close everything down, and then easily be able to come back to that same view with all the same apps open and sized correctly.

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Spaces is an alternate desktop application built into OSX. It will allow you to work on itunes and safari on one "desktop" then work on say photoshop and indesign on another desktop and so on. The layout and window sizes are not really lockable though so you'd just have resize them to fit what you want on that specific space. Make sense?

3. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, that makes sense. But then that means you have to have everything open at once for all your spaces. That's where I lose the benefit of it. It just makes sense to have something like I'm saying. I thought even Windows could do that, but maybe I'm wrong.

4. kowalabearhugs, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

kowalabearhugs macrumors newbie

kowalabearhugs

I believe you want Divvy : http://www.mizage.com/divvy/

Not sure how it works within the Spaces architecture, but it works wonders for a single desktop.

5. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

kowalabearhugs: Not quite what I'm looking for, but I appreciate the suggestion!