World Cup Fever

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by andrewstephenso, Mar 27, 2010.

1. andrewstephenso macrumors member

andrewstephenso

Announcing the availability of "World Cup Fever".

Designed to help get the most out of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

A slick news aggregator with the added ability to subscribe to as many participating countries' dynamic news feeds.

It's simple, fast, looks good and keeps you up to date on everything related to the World Cup.

Further details & screenshots are available on the website (see below).

Feedback & suggestions are very welcome.

I hope you enjoy using it and your team does almost as well as mine ;)

2. bvenge macrumors newbie

I'm curious how your App is doing as we ramp up to the world cup spectacle. I also have a World Cup App I'll be launching just after Easter. As a first timer to both this forum and the Apple Developer program I'm keen to follow and learn from your experience

3. andrewstephenso thread starter macrumors member

andrewstephenso

Hi bvenge,

I'm happy to help, been developing for a year now and learnt so much in that time! My first app is FFM, and the itch I had to scratch with that app has been my motivation to learn and improve.

Feel free to message me any questions and I look forward to seeing your work.

Andy

4. bvenge macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I'm South African but live in the UK and I love soccer so I decided to mix all three and come up with an App. Currently in demo and aiming to submit to Apple (first time) next week. How long did they take to approve WCF ? and do you just wake up. log onto itunes and there it is ?

5. andrewstephenso thread starter macrumors member

andrewstephenso

Thanks for that.

These days you'll have an answer from Apple within 2 or three days and (unless you specify a release date in the future) it'll just show up in the AppStore. The quickest approval I've had was 2 hours (over the Christmas period)

6. bvenge macrumors newbie

Something you mentioned earlier in the post is you've been developing for a year. I want to start as well. What would be your top tips on where & how to start in terms of resources, documents video tutorials etc. What did you find most useful and equally what was a complete waste of time in the learning process. what helped you the most /least ?

Plenty of questions i know

7. andrewstephenso thread starter macrumors member

andrewstephenso

The thing I did was totally emerse myself in information, sooner or later things began to click. I'd be listening to Podcasts whenever I could (too many to mention) but the best resource has to be the Standford Uni videos on iTunesU. Their latest set of video are even better than last year.

I subscribed to over a hundred iphone/developer RSS feeds.

Not a particulary structured way to learn, basically investogation things which sounded interesting or useful which might help towards my first app.
    Having an itch to scratch with FFM helped a lot, it helped when things seemed impossible.

Don't be afraid to experiment, just duplicate your project folder first so you can fall back to a previous copy.

Being a non-coder and having no clue about OOP I found CoreData the most difficult thing to learn. Having got to grips with it though it's the one thing I wish I'd learnt earlier, it forces you to do OOP. Not all apps need it though so your needs may be different.

I started out on a hacked netbook running OSX and finally took the plunge and bought an Air. All my coding is done on my 25minute train journey so I'd focus on offline functionality (UI mainly) during that time.

Set yourself goals in terms of learning and app development otherwise it's easy to become overwhelmed.

I'm a firm believer that anyone can do anything, as long as the required level of interest is there.

And don't bore people too much cos their eyes glaze over :)

Goodluck!

8. andrewstephenso thread starter macrumors member

andrewstephenso

Btw

There's now a lite (free) version available :)

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Are there features the paid version has that the lite version does not? Or is the lite version simply ad supported?

10. andrewstephenso thread starter macrumors member

andrewstephenso

The lite version has a subset of base news sources whereas the non lite version has a larger set of base news plus you can subscribe to any or all of the participating countries news sources.

We are able to add news sources dynamically so it'll get really busy in the app if you're subscribed to everything :)

the only ad is a button for the wcf website, I hate ads :)

11. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Thanks for the prompt response. .99 is a pretty good deal for us soccer (specifically those of us WC fans).

12. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

13. bvenge macrumors newbie

Thanks for some great tips - I'll sure follow your advise. As we speak, I'm still in "Waiting for Review" mode with my first App. and cant stand the anxiety....will keep you posted.

14. SelahJadenCald macrumors newbie

15. bvenge macrumors newbie

I'm now "In review". Tomorrow is D-Day, watch this space for an announcement !

16. bvenge macrumors newbie

Folks! its here
    "SOCCER CITY MANIA - 2010 World Cup Quiz", an iPhone App designed to BOOST your 2010 WORLD CUP SOCCER appetite & excitement is now available.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/soccer-city-mania-2010-world/id365646125?mt=8

any feedback on my very first app will be much appreciated !

17. peaklocation macrumors newbie

World Cup Fever - Free until Sunday

World Cup Fever it free until Sunday.
    Grab it now! Back to 59 pence on Monday.

Link is here; Word Cup Fever

-----------

A slick news aggregator with the added ability to subscribe to as many participating countries' dynamic news feeds.

It's simple, fast, looks good and keeps you up to date on everything related to the World Cup.

18. bvenge macrumors newbie

How does making the App free for a short while help with sales ? I'm thinking of doing the same with my App but not sure about the rationale behind this move. your thoughts ?

19. peaklocation macrumors newbie

World Cup Fever - Free for a short period once more.

World Cup Fever - Free for a short period once more.
    Grab it now! Back to 59 pence on Monday.

Link is here; http://bit.ly/b4O3GE

Enjoy!

-----------

20. andrewstephenso thread starter macrumors member

andrewstephenso

Big update

Just to let you know...

World Cup Fever is no more.. it's now called iSoccer News

There are many improvements in this release so update now :)

Oh, and it's a universal app now too, it looks great on the iPad!