World Cup final on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mickeyp49, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mickeyp49 macrumors member

Tomorrow is the World Cup final and unfortunately I will be traveling, so is there any way I could watch the world cup on my iPhone ( I can't jailbreak it and use mywi to watch it on my laptop because it is an iPhone 4). I also have a dvd player in my car, so is there any way I could hook up a tv antenna or something.

Please help I don't want to miss the world cup.

2. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

that's hard

I only know of ESPN3.com handling that and not sure about cost or if it's live, but I think it will be.

It does appear live but the system requirements won't allow you to view it on your iPhone 4. Sorry.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/faq#21

3. jds17j macrumors newbie

iphone.tvcatchup.com works if you have a UK VPN or proxy. Search google for UK VPN and you'll find free and paid options. MobiTV iPhone app has the games streaming as well, but it is a paid service...

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Leo Laporte was using some app to stream the WC you had to pay though but it's probably worth it. Check out the latest MacBreak Weekly I think it was on that.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

justin.tv has an app I've seen people streaming games on there aswel as ustream

6. DMC0921 macrumors newbie

Not sure about watching - but if you get the ESPN Radio app you should be able to at least listen to it. Might not be the answer you want but it's better than nothing I guess:)

7. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

8. gillybean macrumors 6502a

If you just need to check on the state of the game and don't mind an awful frame rate (e.g. 2 frames per second), you can stream the game to your computer (I'm sure a number of sites will be streaming the game), and then use LogMeIn or other remote desktop software to connect to it from your phone.

9. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I have caught some games using the Justin.tv app. However, you will have to look around for a stable feed.

10. detroit1 macrumors regular

theres always an abc stream in the tvuplayer app. i dont remember if its free or not though

11. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Shame you're not in the UK, TVCatchup would have worked for you.

12. Sixpack446 macrumors member

Go to www.veetle.com on your iPhone. They will definitely have it on there. They have every major sporting event as well as movies and tv shows. I watched ufc 116 on there live and for free. It also streams beautifully over 3G. Check it out.

13. inlvnv macrumors member

If you have access to espn3 at home or have cable tv hooked to tv tuner card in your home pc, www.orb.com.

14. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Get Sling or HAVA and hook it up to your SAT/Cable box and you can see anything from your TV at home. NO MONTHLY FEES just a 1 time price for the Hardware. I have both.

15. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Omg dude thanks. I am watching the game on it right now. Such good quality too!

16. Mercury macrumors regular

Just so everyone knows, ESPN3 will not be streaming the final. They will show the replay online afterwards, but if you want to watch it live you have to use a TV or another stream.

I've had difficulty finding streams on ustream. Justin.tv seems to work OK and I'll try the veetle site.

17. Sixpack446 macrumors member

The veetle site will definitely work. The channel will pop up around game time. I watched today's game on there.

18. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

If there is enough demand, I can stream it on justin.tv

There's an app for that.

19. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

20. Excluse macrumors member

Watching a Top Gear episode on veetle.com right now. I suppose it doesn't count as a stream? Not a single hiccup but I guess it's a recording.

21. Fant macrumors regular

Seems like they could have easily released a $4.99 world cup app that lets you watch world cup live nothing else and many people would have bought it ..

22. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

^^^ Completely agree. The MobiTV app is great. You'll be able to watch a reliable feed live with it. It's subscription-based, but an entire month of viewing is only $9.99. Six months is only $7.50 per month.

Also, ESPN's World Cup app is pretty good if you want match updates and "moment after each play happens" video highlights. To access the video portion of the app, there's a one-time $7.99 fee.

I find that the Justin.TV feeds just aren't reliable enough to bother. Since they're pirated, they're constantly getting shut down mid-match.

Go Oranje!

23. Rubey81 macrumors member

Veetle.com best site for watching big games in most likely the best quality.

Channel will pop up around game time. They put up the top/most popular channels on their iPhone/iPad site.

Just go to veetle.com in safari.

24. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Perhaps the CloudBrowse app might allow you to run a website that streams the game live?

CloudBrowse is basically a Firefox instance running on a server someplace. It streams the Firefox window to your iPhone. So, in theory, any website viewed on a desktop computer via Firefox can be seen on your iPhone. However, some sites such as Hulu recognize CloudBrowse as an anonymous proxy and block their content from it. Bummer, that.

But, it's worth a try. The app is free.

25. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Whoa, based on several comments here, I just tried veetle.com on my 3G. Despite my phone being practically an antique by now, the video streamed flawlessly. (No closed-captions, though, grrr.)

That site seems like a real find. Bookmarking!