Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
It works great Dejo! Thanks for doing this.
It's little things like this that remind me that
I need to get into programming...........:rolleyes:
dejo said:
Okay, here's my rough first draft:

DEJOware's World Cup Scores Widget

It needs a bunch more work that I will continue later today. First on the list: auto-refresh of the scores!

After that, I may add multilingual support. If you have any other ideas, shoot me a PM.

And my thanks to any masochists willing to beta-test this widget! :D

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
dejo said:
Perhaps, but I'm not sure how the widget would learn what time zone you're in. And a dropdown with choices on the flipside preferences would be a huge list, if it was to list all the known time zones, right?
The other app that was linked above just lets you input the time zone difference as a number in hours. This way, you don't need a huge list or something like this.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
tektonnic said:
Actually I think the reason you can't view the BBC stream is because you are not from the UK, and as a publically funded service it cannot justify spending money on broadcasting it anywhere but the UK license paying computers, as legally you must have a TV License to watch the world cup on a computer from the BBC.

This is the same reason the new BBC International site is likely to carry advertising to fund it, where as the UK version will be advert free, as its funded by its users.

Actually that's not true. You can stream and view all other content for the exception of the World Cup.

~e

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
dejo said:
Okay, here's my rough first draft:

It needs a bunch more work that I will continue later today. First on the list: auto-refresh of the scores!

After that, I may add multilingual support. If you have any other ideas, shoot me a PM.

And my thanks to any masochists willing to beta-test this widget! :D

This is nice. Thank you.

Do you think you can insert a LIVE or Delayed Stream (audio or video) in that widget? Perhaps piggy back from http://www.sopcast.com/ streams? I have NO CLUE if a delayed or live stream is even possible using someone else's feed. Is it?

~e

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Narayan said:
Great widget. Was really looking for somthing like this. Hopefully it will keep me away from the tv to actually get some work done these weeks.
I'll test it on the Spain match starting in a few minutes. One remark; the lineup link for this match doesn't seem to work, whereas the other links (preview) do work.

Good job though!

Thanks for the support everyone!

Okay, I think I got this Lineup (and Live) link deal figured out. And make sure you download the latest version of the widget since it now also auto-updates the data every five minutes (soon to be a preference?)! Once again, the widget is available for download at:

eclipse525 said:
Do you think you can insert a LIVE or Delayed Stream (audio or video) in that widget? Perhaps piggy back from http://www.sopcast.com/ streams? I have NO CLUE if a delayed or live stream is even possible using someone else's feed. Is it?

Good question. I have no idea but suspect that would be technically quite challenging. I'll add that to my list of possible enhancements although, admittedly, it's gonna be pretty low on that list.

Okay, off to see if multi-lingual support is possible. Maybe first: a preference for auto-update interval.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
A new version of my widget is now available. It now has a preferences "back side" and allows you to choose the interval for data refresh. Yes, there's also a supposed language-selector but the only choice, right now, is English. Download still at the same place. See above link. And enjoy! :)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
dejo said:
A new version of my widget is now available. It now has a preferences "back side" and allows you to choose the interval for data refresh. Yes, there's also a supposed language-selector but the only choice, right now, is English. Download still at the same place. See above link. And enjoy! :)

Dejo, I just downloaded the newest version, and it seems to take up a bunch of CPU cycles while it's loading. Is this normal on your machine as well? I'm on a rev D PB with 1.5GB RAM, btw. I'm not trying to complain, since I appreciate the work you're doing, so hopefully you don't mind the feedback. If it's annoying you can tell me to quit whining, and I will :)

picture19qr.png

adriantoll

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
Scotland
eclipse525 said:
Actually that's not true. You can stream and view all other content for the exception of the World Cup.

~e

Well, it's kinda true. International users can only access narrowband video, whereas UK users can see broadband versions of pretty much all the A/V content on bbc.co.uk. Streaming the World Cup to a worldwide audience would cost them an enormous amount of money, and the BBC is in a tricky position politically, as there's not much rationale for providing *any* content to the rest of the world given that the British taxpayer funds it all and receives no revenue from advertising in return. (The BBC also doesn't show any snooker video content to the rest of the world, which I'm sure everyone's terribly upset about...)

The only part of the site that has some kind of a reason for being free to a worldwide audience is the news site, because it's partially funded by the Foreign Office. I also think it would compromise its apparent impartiality to introduce advertising, like an advert for Pringles next to a business story about Procter & Gamble. And it can lead to weird juxtapositions like a story about people dying in a fire next to an advert for Burger King's flame grilled Whoppers ...

Trust me, I used to produce a site on bbc.co.uk and it's such a politically hot topic that it makes people incredibly neurotic. They've been talking about an advertising-funded international version for at least five years...

Oh, er, the thread topic? Ahem. All together now - En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land.... En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land.. :D

Narayan

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2006
Unfortunately, I have the same problem with the CPU usage. It seems to take up almost any processing power available. In case it matters; i'm working on a 12" PB G4 1,5 Ghz 768 Mb DDR.

Furthermore, the widget shows as a black box without any contents at the moment. But since someone else had the same problem, and it solved itself after a few minutes, I'll just wait and see...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
gauchogolfer said:
Dejo, I just downloaded the newest version, and it seems to take up a bunch of CPU cycles while it's loading. Is this normal on your machine as well? I'm on a rev D PB with 1.5GB RAM, btw. I'm not trying to complain, since I appreciate the work you're doing, so hopefully you don't mind the feedback. If it's annoying you can tell me to quit whining, and I will :)

No, it's okay. It's not annoying... yet. ;)

I welcome the feedback. I just wish I was able to reproduce these problems myself. Did your CPU eventually settle down? If anybody else has any input on what might be causing this, please speak up.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
dejo said:
No, it's okay. It's not annoying... yet. ;)

I welcome the feedback. I just wish I was able to reproduce these problems myself. Did your CPU eventually settle down? If anybody else has any input on what might be causing this, please speak up.
Just out of curiosity how did you make this? Also mine is still a black box after 5 mins is this normal?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
lexus said:
Just out of curiosity how did you make this? Also mine is still a black box after 5 mins is this normal?

How did I package up the widget? Or code it? Or how did I get it to pull the data off the internet? What part specifically are you curious about?

Black box after 5 mins is not normal.

Edit: Hold on a sec! I may have come across a possible reason. Investigating...

2nd Edit: Okay. I believe I have a possible reason and solution now in place. Anyone still experiencing the dreaded black-box, please re-download the widget and try again. Fingers crossed...

Narayan

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2006
Don't know what you did, but it worked perfectly!
Up until now I still had the black box. Your latest version works great, it even solved the CPU problems. Thanks a lot!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Narayan said:
Don't know what you did, but it worked perfectly!
Up until now I still had the black box. Your latest version works great, it even solved the CPU problems. Thanks a lot!

It was not handling the possibility the preference for update interval might not exist which, of course, is always the case the very first time you use this widget. Glad to hear it's better now.

I've posted a new version that is "localized" for English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese users, based on what you have set in your International System Preferences. It also properly handles displaying 4 matches in one day. Probably contains some other minor fixes as well.

I've tweaked the name too and (after turfing the old widget) you can download the newest one at: DEJOware's World Cup 2006 Widget

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I submitted my widget to Apple and they accepted it! You can check out their listing for it at: World Cup 2006 - Dashboard - Sports

And I would just like to thank all of you so very much for helping me put together a decent product with your testing, encouragement, etc.

P.S. Please download the widget (even if you already have it) via Apple and maybe I can make the "Today's Top Downloads" list on the Dashboard homepage.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
dejo said:
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I submitted my widget to Apple and they accepted it! You can check out their listing for it at: World Cup 2006 - Dashboard - Sports

And I would just like to thank all of you so very much for helping me put together a decent product with your testing, encouragement, etc.

P.S. Please download the widget (even if you already have it) via Apple and maybe I can make the "Today's Top Downloads" list on the Dashboard homepage.

Hey Man - You made it to the number 2 spot!
Good Work!!

Attachments

• dash.gif
    dash.gif
    55.2 KB · Views: 59

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Updated Widget Ready For Download

Just wanted to let everyone know that the latest version of my World Cup dashboard widget is now available for download from Apple.

World Cup 2006 Scores Widget

Let's see if we can get this widget into the Top 10 (and maybe knock out those other two at the same time! ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.