Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phadam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
I was thinking about creating a world map on my contact page. I would like to do one similar to the image attached. Just wondering how I would be able to create the pulsing sonar look on to the map and maybe have the map highlight or change color like a rollover button. I just don't want to make anything on the map clickable.

Attachments

• Picture 16.png
    Picture 16.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 354

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
you could try a simple flash animation which is easily doable with a small amount of action script. just google rollover flash image.

for the pulsating sonar, just make a sonar transparent image at 100% of size and then in flash scale it down to 0% and then back to 100% using a tween.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Could do a animated GIF for the pulsing. Otherwise, you'll need to use JavaScript or Flash for the animation and rollover effect.

phadam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
i have been trying to import maps to my stage but every map i import keeps the white background. i've used photoshop to separate the map from background but still no luck when i import my img to my flash stage.

am i doing something wrong?? or is there something im missing??

thanks

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
i have been trying to import maps to my stage but every map i import keeps the white background. i've used photoshop to separate the map from background but still no luck when i import my img to my flash stage.

am i doing something wrong?? or is there something im missing??

Please elaborate on your process and what specifically you're up to. We're not mind readers. Examples are good too.

phadam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Please elaborate on your process and what specifically you're up to. We're not mind readers. Examples are good too.

i have been trying to get an image of a world map to use on my contact page and then use a pulsing color dot to estimate my location on that map. I have found a few images from google. If I use the image as I got it straight off the web it includes that white or black or whatever color background that the map is laying on. I have a detailed background already on my site so I would just like to cut the map itself out and lay only the map on my own background page. I just cant seem to get the map only by itself. The background stays attached to the map :(

hope that makes a little more sense. All i want is just the map to use

Cerebrus' Maw

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Ok. I only use PS, so going to go on a limb here...

After you cut the unnessecary white background from your map image, do you trim (resize) the image down? Because if you dont and then save it at the same widthxheight, it will obviously fill back in the unused space with a white background unless you specify that the background is transparent.

Remove the white again, and then resize the image canvas so that the borders are exactly on the image itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.