World of Warcraft and the rest

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Dagless, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't normally play MMO's, but recently I have been playing a couple of free-to-play ones with my girlfriend (still trying to settle on one). They all seem quite good; nice graphics, good gameplay, not too bad lag. But what differentiates these free Korean MMO's with World of Warcraft? We're thinking about getting WoW accounts in the near future (frankly paying a subscription to play a game online is something I'm not too comfortable with, but if it's a good game then it might be worth it).

2. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

WoW is Cyber Crack.

WoW is Cyber Crack. It really is.

One of the kids asked me to install a WoW trial dvd because he used to play at his friend's house and had a lot of fun. So I agreed to install it then he I create a character. Fast forward a couple months later...well, dang it, I basically replaced my movie watching with Warcraft and tend to sign on after my fiance leaves for work. Once I actually put her off because I was still on a raid. She didn't care for that at all. On the bright side I have a higher level character than the kid, a mount, nice talents, decent weapons, fruitful skills and quite a handsome amount of gold in the bank. I also joined a guild that is into leveling and raiding, helping new people and no drama.

It's all fun in moderation.
    :)

3. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Don't play on a PvP server. Full of retards. WoW was excellent up until the recent expansion, then they dumbed it down unbelievably. They broke PvP so badly that only a couple of classes really stand a chance, and PvE was so easy you could see all the end dungeons within a couple of weeks of reaching 80.

However I suppose since you are new to it, levelling will be tremendous fun, exploring the world for the first time, teaming up with strangers to do dungeons or quests. Just watch out for gankers who like to reach high level and then kill your low level in one hit. Thats why you shouldn't go on a PvP server, avoid those backwards monkey boys.

The difference between WoW and the free ones is that the graphics are 3D, you don't have to pay for gear, you get it from quests and dungeons and the whole presentation just tends to be better, for instance little voices for your character.

4. raygungirl macrumors member

raygungirl

I've played on an RP (non PVP) server since I started (Feathermoon), though I've never been able to RP without feeling like a total moron. The good news is, I'd say maybe 10% of the people on that server bother to roleplay at all. And when they do, if it's in public areas, everyone else makes fun of them. Fun times. (Hey, they can't spell. If they could spell, I would not make fun of them. But roleplaying + leet speak does not work for me.)

I definitely would never, ever have a character on a PVP server. I'm not a great player and I know I'm not, but I get by just fine in PVE. The only PVP I find fun at all is Wintergrasp. Well, Alterac Valley isn't too bad, either. Sometimes. But world PVP makes me want to die in real life, it's awful. ;)

For new players/casual players/not very good players (I'm all but new), the changes to WoW are pretty sweet. But even I'm starting to get to the point where it feels like it's getting TOO easy.

Until it really is so easy that it's no longer fun, though, I'll continue to play. I just wish they'd fix Warlocks. :(

5. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I really don't mind PvP when its organised and balanced and has more objective than simply making the other guy dead. That just gets boring fast, and is entertaining to the sort of people who have the mentality of a 5 year old.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not new to it and nor will I have it for a long time, I'm just curious as to what the differences are between WoW and free MMO's. Basically just want to know why people would plop down a subscription for it :), I understand that you get what you pay for though, just wondering if it's anything more than that?

7. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I haven't played any free MMOs, I've only seen the screenshots and reviews. Most of them were 2D I thought, and though they were "free" if you wanted a special item you had to pay for it with real world money.

WoW has the subscription fee and after that gear comes from your own efforts. And don't be put off by the subscription because its really one of the cheapest forms of entertainment. For the price of 2 movie tickets (4 hours) you can play as much as you like.

8. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

As others said WOW is a kind of drug. I didn't believe this until i tried it. I'm in my late 30s and have never been much interested in gaming, but WOW has put its spell on me.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Blizzard is constantly updating / adding to WoW so you are getting a lot for your monthly fees.

The major difference between WoW and some of the free ones is the scope of the game and the size of the player base.

I highly recommend trying out WoW for free.

10. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

yeh not where i live! £6.90 a ticket makes WoW far cheaper!

WoW is a really good game and though im currently taking a break for a while i will no doubt get back into it at some point soon. Ive been playing on and off for about 4 years now!

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius