World of Warcraft: better on Win XP or Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ripster, Jan 5, 2008.

1. ripster macrumors newbie

So I have the newest macbook SR (2.2ghz, 2gb RAM) with both Windows XP and Leopard on it.

Is there a big difference b/w running WoW in XP vs Leopard in terms of playability? are the fans quieter in XP?

Thanks

2. recoman3 macrumors member

I find WoW to be flawless on Leopard, so you should use your win space to non-mac games.

As for the fans, I wonder if there is a way to cap the frame rate to 30 fps or something, cause I sometimes get over 100fps which is unnecessary and just heats up the computer... I would imagine that if the computer is not trying to max out fps, it will be a lot cooler and hence the fans will be quieter.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

In the chat window, type /console maxfps 30 (or substitute whatever frame rate you want to cap it at). I find 25 actually works well for me and uses < 50% CPU on my old dual G5. It will hold the value across restarts too.

WoW will probably always run a little better under Windoze because of the DirectX factor, but it's not really a game that pushes limits graphically and WoW is very playable on most modern Macs.

EDIT: use /console maxfpsbk to control framerate while WoW is running in the background.

4. aspro macrumors 6502

I've found that World of Warcraft runs better under Windows XP, but that is probably amplified by the fact my video card is shocking (integrated).

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The mac version has a couple perks that the windows version doesn't have. At least it did when I quit.

6. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

Leopard, definatly, I sometimes get 60+ fps per second in leopard! 2Gb ram, 1.83ghz core duo( not core 2 duo! ) and intel gma950
    The latest patches did a lot to the performance of wow for mac.
    You should indeed save your windows space for windows specific games that really don't run on osx.

Fans make more noise in windows.

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

60FPS? Umm, the bull **** meter just went through the roof.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I've seen posts of 60fps but not on the gma950.

Maybe sitting still at the newbie zone and in windowed mode with the window like at 640/480 or smaller and with all options turned down and/or off, with no mods, and at 4am in the morning.

soooo... umm... yah I think my meter went off to.

I like it in leopard. However if it was a comparison between WindowsXP on my OLD SLI pc and the 24" iMac I would have to say my old SLI pc ran it faster and better. But considering the hardware, that is why. Nothing to do with OS.

Bootcamp on iMac and Leopard, they both are about the same to me. Haven't noticed any difference between the OS's on the same identical hardware.

I prefer the Mac options in game as well.

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I've seen over 70 fps moving through Stormwind on a dual-core iMac with effects settings medium to high (smaller screen size though). With the right rig under the right circumstances I think you could pull 60 fps. Of course I'd cap it at 25-30 anyway, you don't really need 60 fps for WoW, you just want a consistent frame rate.

10. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The imac doesn't have built in graphics (what people were questioning).

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Theoretically speaking, it should run better in Windows XP on a MacBook (not Pro), because Windows XP can use more of the RAM (OS X caps the amount of RAM that is shared for video for some reason).

So yes, your MacBook will run it a little better on XP. But, in my experience anyway, the fans run louder in Windows; OS X manages it better.

On a MacBook Pro or iMac or anything with a dedicated card... I have no idea.

12. Wotcher macrumors newbie

The Mac version of WoW will also let you screencapture (similar to FRAPS).