World of Warcraft crashing Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by charlesju, Oct 17, 2008.

1. charlesju macrumors newbie

I have the new Macbook, 2.0 GHz one, and when I play world of warcraft it keeps crashing the whole OS and the game itself. I get the black screen of death and I have to shut down my whole system.

I have SMC Fan Control on and it says that my motherboard is only at 70 C when it crashes (I have it blasting at 5,000 RPMs), so I know it's not the graphics card shutting the computer down.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Hopefully it's just a software thing.

2. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

In my opinion, take it to an Apple Genius. If this is brand new, you could probably get a new one. Also, it is still under warranty and they will know exactly what is wrong with it.

3. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

maybe it's a sign from above that you should stop playing that crap and do something useful on your brand new GlassBook.

:p

4. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I've been playing for the past hour without a crash. Definitely bring it in. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

5. charlesju thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I'm going to bring it into the Apple Store tomorrow, I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes. I think the graphics card is funky and tells the CPU's PC to go into the kernel which is restricted so it crashes the whole OS.

6. qwikrex macrumors member

I finished downloading/installing the 3.0.2 patch yesterday and logged in. Everything seemed fine. Didn't actually play, just logged in to test stuff out.

7. jhu2 macrumors member

8. eGraeme macrumors member

*gigglefits*

9. charlesju thread starter macrumors newbie

Hovers around 40-70 on medium quality, very good, if it didn't crash my whole computer, that is.

10. evangelion82 macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I'm having the same issue. I'd love to hear what the apple guys say. Please let us know what you hear.

11. charlesju thread starter macrumors newbie

I just took my Mac back to the store and they gave me a new one. This new Mac can go hours in WoW without crashing, looking good so far.

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

just curious, what did they do to determine the computer required replacement? surely they didn't just take your word for it.

13. gnikcjack macrumors member

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I hope that those of you with the 2.0 can shed some insight. Does WoW, or any other game for that matter, run well on your model? Do you wish you had gotten the 2.4, or are you satisfied?

14. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

+1

15. evangelion82 macrumors newbie

Yeah warcraft ran great minus the crashing. I'm going to take mine in today as well. Could be a faulty GPU. A friend of mine has the same model with no problems.

16. qwikrex macrumors member

How are the graphics for you guys? Fps in wow is pretty good on my new macbook. The color does look a bit washed out though compared to the 256mb Nvidia 6200 in my PC. It was pretty apparent when I went to do the Headless Horseman event today. The graveyard in SM looked noticeably more washed out and "foggy" than on my pc.

17. evangelion82 macrumors newbie

I mine stays at or just above 30fps which is fine for me. Color / contrast looks great but may be more dependent on viewing angle.

18. qwikrex macrumors member

Yeah the washout changes from different angles. That seems to be inherent to the macbook's screen. The top left corner of the laptop also gets pretty hot while playing, I can even feel some heat while pressing the W key. Guessing thats where the GPU is.