World of Warcraft on Macbook Pro 2012 - Heat??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimenD, Feb 24, 2013.

1. SimenD macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I recently bought a Macbook pro mostly for school. But when i'm bored and stuff i'd like to do some casual gaming. So i installed World of Warcraft, and started playing. Everything is very good. Ultra settings, 30 fps, but... It's a bit hot, and i was just wondering if that is going to ruin my macbook in the end? :)

----------

It's not like its burning my fingers, but i can definitely feel the heat.

2. Snarl macrumors member

Built in Heat Monitor/Fan control should insure you have no problems. Just make sure the Vents in Hinge area are clear. If your still concerned something like Ultrafan can give you a little extra security.

3. SimenD thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean... How much heat can my mac handle?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Search the forum, this has been asked litterally(yes, litterally) thousands upon thousands of time.

Aluminum conducts heat very well, which means that for any given temperature, a MacBook Pro will feel hotter to the touch than any plastic windows laptop. Don't let your touch guide you, us humans start to get burnt at about 60°C, which is still a very safe temperature for a computer.

All computers have fail-safe mechanisms built in, if it ever gets hot enough to damage anything, it'll shut down.

Install monitoring software such as iStat Pro or iStat menus to monitor temps if it bothers you. Your processor can and will reach up to 105°C before shutting the computer down due to heat.

Just use the machine, it'll take care of itself.

5. SimenD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much :) Now i'm all calm again

6. pingfan59 macrumors member

Get a JustMobile aluminum cooling bar. It props up the back of your MBP in style and has decreased the temp a few deg. I have been using that with the MBP with no issues.

7. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i've played for several hours at a time with my macs.. all of them can handle it just fine.. get a cooling pad if you think about it too much.

8. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

9. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

if you change from Ultra to High settings, it seems to run cooler and you get like 40-70 fps

10. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

Heat and gaming go hand in hand. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but monitoring it can't hurt. CPUs you'd want to stay under 100C or so, and GPU temps should probably stay under 80-90C on the high end.