World of Warcraft on the new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Slothapotamus, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Slothapotamus macrumors member

Anyone played it? I'm just curious how well it plays. I own a white MacBook (bought in April this year) and, obviously, it doesn't play games well so I use my ageing PC. The new graphics on the Aluminium (or Aluminum for you yanks) MacBooks looks like it could handle WoW but I'm not sure, so I'd love to hear from some fellow gamers.

2. Hyuga macrumors regular

You can easily put details to high and it will run okay on native resolution.

3. timestoby macrumors 6502

my guess is that it will play pretty good. i thought wow played well on whitebook. have you tried it on ur mb,wot settins have you tired etc.

4. Slothapotamus thread starter macrumors member

Settings are down low (as low as I can get most of them), resolution down too (1024 widescreen, not the native 1280). Average frame rate is between 25-20 outside, but in cities (especially Shattrath) it drops to between 5-10 which makes it virtually unplayable.

I saw a video on Youtube of a guy, using the new Alum MacBook, getting frame rates of 35 in Shattrath with all settings on high.

5. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

You should be able to find all the info you need on this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=581544

6. Hyuga macrumors regular

Yup its around 35 when using vista, bit higher with XP (5-10fps). Tested it myself.

7. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I have been running it pretty well on my Aluminum Macbook. I play windowed mode because I like to surf the net and talk on iChat while I play, so I turn the resolution down to 1024 widescreen, and in places like Elwynn Forest and Westfall (started a new paladin, woo! haha) I was actually getting 100+fps, SW I got 30-50 pretty consistently. Visiting **** on my mains has been a different experience everytime, ranging from 30-40, 15-25, or 5 fps. Not sure if it is just flukes, or due to different server loads each time.

I run with most of the video settings turned down (Except spell effects, spells look so neat with good detail) since I am playing windowed and there really isn't much I gain from being able to see a reflection on the ground or whatever else you gain from high video settings. I am in it for best FPS.

Edited my post as to not hijack your thread, posted my issue in that forum linked above, I would appreciate it if those playing WoW on the new macbook will take a look at my post there and help me out, thanks! ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6554062&postcount=130 ) ;D