World of Warcraft: WOTLK, how does it run with Alu macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcchiefkins, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mcchiefkins macrumors newbie

does anyone have an aluminum macbook with WOTLK installed? I'd like to know how it runs in the new Northrend expansion areas, such as flying around in large open areas and in big crowds, and whatever other useful information I can find. Im trying to make a decision because I can get the Aluminum macbook 2.4 GHz for $1400 or i could spend $99 and get the student developer thing and get a MBP for $1600($99+1500), so i'm wondering what is the best plan of action here...I really prefer MB because of portability and cheaper, but I really would like the discrete graphics of MBP while its only $200 more with discount
    Any help would be most appreciated (with info on WOTLK or with decision-making)
    Thanks

2. bluesTank macrumors regular

I don't think they changed much. If it could handle Burning Crusade, I am pretty sure that it could handle WOTLK.

3. mcchiefkins thread starter macrumors newbie

According to what i've heard, the graphics in it are more detailed, and there are larger more vast areas that require a stronger machine than before. I've heard that it usually runs slower compared to how a machine runs it in original WoW areas or BC areas. So i'd expect it would be harder to run, thats why I want to know how the new MB runs it.

4. dextermorgan macrumors member

2.4 Alum Macbook running WOTLK on high graphics quite well here. I'm sure the MBP will run it with slightly higher frame rates but I am getting 73 fps and that is quite fine for me.

5. mcchiefkins thread starter macrumors newbie

wow really? Thats awesome. In like crowded areas and when flying? (and in northrend right?) i hadn't heard it ran it that well. Do you think it would be at all possible to make a video?

6. ConnorScott macrumors newbie

I have the 2.0 and its perfect graphics no lag or nothing dont worry lol.:apple:

7. bluesTank macrumors regular

I have only seen it from when my brother was playing, so I wouldn't really know. All i noticed was that they didn't really improve character models or anything special like that. The environments might be a different story, but from the other posts it sounds like it is fine! I can't wait til Christmas break to be able to pick it up and play. Until then, I will be studying my ass off :mad:

8. Submerged macrumors newbie

You and me both :( I can't wait to play again haha

9. dextermorgan macrumors member

I'm so glad I'm done for the semester already. More sweet sweet wow time. My earlier post was from one look. I've been checking more frequently and FPS is usually around 53-60 but still just fine.

10. Morrius macrumors member

How do the MacBooks do with heat when running WotLK? I always use a small tilting stand with my computer which gives it some decent circulation.

11. ConnorScott macrumors newbie

Well I have a cheap cooling stand for it. Cost 25 bucks. Fans are quiet, tiny makes it run SO cool.:apple:

12. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I am a college student and just bought the Alu MB 2.4 and run WotLK on it with no worries. I was actually getting like, 120 fps in Azeroth, about 70-80 in Outlands and around 60-70 in Northrend. I limited my fps to 50 fps to keep the heat down on the system. Game still runs fine, and obviously there is no skipping or anything at 50 fps. I do run with all settings completely minimized, aside from spell effects, which I like to keep at mac because they add a lot of detail to combat. With these same settings I got 15-60 fps on my Blackbook with these settings, so the performance is vastly improved. I get 50 fps all the time now that I have that max set. But, as I said, if you do not set a cap, you are looking at upwards of 100 fps in some situations, which is unbelievable (probably less in Northrend).

I opted for the MB as I was upgrading from a Blackbook and did not want to loose the portability I have become accustomed to. When I graduate from college in two years I fully intend to take the leap for a MBP for home use and keep this fine machine for carting around otherwise.

But, as long as you are not expecting to run the game at full settings, MB truly is the ideal choice if you need to carry your rig around campus for years to come.

13. GlenL macrumors member

I just bought a 2.4 MB with 4GB RAM and in Dalaran (worse city in terms of fps now), I was getting between 40-60fps, which is pretty good.

Settings were around medium.. some were high and some were low according to my taste... so I can't really give you a straight settings comparison.

14. mosx macrumors 65816

I can't speak for WoW but I can say that GTA4 runs surprisingly good. Playable throughout.