World views program

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Mar 9, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I've always had an interest in the world and other cultures, and I also have interests in broadcasting, and I've come up with a project that combines them, and I wanted to see what you think.

My concept is to interview young people (teens-college students) from around the world through iChat or Skype video or audio conferences, and compare our view of the world, ranging from cultural trends to daily life to current events, and turn it into a series on YouTube.

My concerns are:
    >If I could find people to do it. I don't know how many fifteen year-olds in China care about what I think in the United States.
    >Where I can find these people. Forums? craigslist?
    >if it's safe. I don't want to agree to do it with someone and then find a pedophile on the other end, and I don't know what my parents would think about this.
    >If iChat/Skype can hold up to the transglobal conference without too much delay.
    >If anybody would actually watch it.

What do you think?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if you'll have a lot of success trying to get 5 people from.....Yemen.....to participate. Or Burma, Senegal, etc. If you're only going to ask really "big" non-American areas, then maybe it's not worth doing? I mean, is there much point in asking the UK, French, Belgians, Australians, or other full-on, or semi-Westernized countries?

Sorry to ruin your dream. Others may take a different stance.

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

No, I understand. I wouldn't expect to get people from third world countries, but would you think it'd be interesting for the presenter to discuss topics with someone in a second-world country, such as Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc? Interviewing a person my age in Europe or Australia wouldn't be that interesting except for maybe discussing minor pop culture differences.

This idea sort of stemmed from a concept I was developing where a panel of four of my friends researched and presented a debate issue, but I thought it might be interesting to have people from around the world do it? Yes? No?