Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
UPDATE: See post #53 for more fun! :D

The original 22-inch Apple Cinema Display :D

DSC00520.JPG

It was made in the second week, i.e. January, of 2000. I'd preferred it to have been made in 1999 but oh well...

DSC00521.JPG

Thank heavens for separate DVI, USB and power connections - no future-unproof ADC nonsense going on here. ;)

DSC00522.JPG

The Apple Flat Panel Display 62W Power Adapter, made in week 51, i.e. December, of 1999 (woohoo!).

DSC00523.JPG

Interestingly, its 1600×1024 timing (which is 25:16, not 16:10 LOL) has a pixel clock ever so slightly higher than 112 MHz.

Code:
Mode = 1600 × 1024 @ 59,938Hz
        Pixel Clock............. 112,27 MHz         Non-Interlaced

Horizontal         Vertical
        Active.................. 1600 pixels        1024 lines
        Front Porch.............   88 pixels           1 lines
        Sync Width..............   16 pixels           1 lines
        Back Porch..............  104 pixels          10 lines
        Blanking................  208 pixels          12 lines
        Total................... 1808 pixels        1036 lines
        Scan Rate...............  62,096 kHz         59,938 Hz

Image Size..............  470 mm             301 mm
        Border..................    0 pixels           0 lines

Sync: Digital separate with
                * Positive vertical polarity
                * Positive horizontal polarity

I thought the ATI Rage 128 Pro which shipped in the G4 towers the display was available/compatible with had a built-in TMDS transmitter limited to 112 MHz. Maybe it can just about run this timing, or it does have a higher limit after all. The legendary SGI 1600SW Flat Panel (the first-ever 1600×1024 LCD) has modelines with lower pixel clocks ranging from 103 to 108 MHz, e.g. this one.

Last edited:

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I loved how these look, I have a 15 and a 17 but they are the ADC version. I have the ADC to HDMI adaper and it has a 5 pound power brick. Currently I have the 15 on display with my Cube and the 17 I actually still use with my MDD PowerMac G4. The ADC connection does help keep my desk from being cluttered.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I always wanted one of these. I too enjoy the ADC on my Powermac g4s as it does keep cables tidier - two less USB to the tower anyhow. Too bad they did not include FW as well. That would have been so cool on these original acrylic cinema displays :)

Once you get past powermac G4s, the ADC gets to be a big pain in the butt and a whole new level of adapter/cable clutter is introduced with the a1006.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Wow this thing looks amazing. I love the late 90s/early 2000s aesthetic, and this monitor just screams it. Soo sad that the closest thing to this now that apple has available currently doesn’t even come with a stand… I also had no idea Apple had the largest computer LCD in its heyday.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have one 22", which is a little harder to find than the 23" that replaced it. Sadly, it is starting to die with a pink shade here and there. I remember being completely blown away when I first saw one used by a store employee in small computer store in Hong Kong. I only had a 15" CRT at the time and didn't even know that such jewels existed. I often went back to the store to stare at that screen, which he always seems to be doing something on. I wonder if he was creeped out by me?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
I have a 15 and a 17 but they are the ADC version.
Yeah, only the original acrylic 22" had DVI (because ADC had not yet been come up with). As for the 15", it uses a TN panel with less-than-stellar viewing angles, which is a bit disappointing. At least the 17" and larger variants are all IPS.

I also had no idea Apple had the largest computer LCD in its heyday.
I'm not aware of any larger LCD being available back then. In September 2000, Samsung presented world's first 24" 1920×1200 LCD though. That was when I became obsessed with high-resolution LCDs. The 30" Cinema Display was also the largest computer LCD at the time of its release in June 2004.

I have one 22",
Is yours the ADC version? If so, could you extract its EDID using e.g. SwitchResX? I'd like to compare the timing to the DVI version.

I remember being completely blown away when I first saw one used by a store employee in small computer store in Hong Kong.
What is even more mind-blowing IMHO is the fact that the 22" DVI would have been used with... Mac OS 8.6 or 9. Yet its design just screams "Mac OS X" to me.

Edit on 2021.08.18: Corrected release date for Samsung's 24" LCD; tidied up the post.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Glad you finally got it delivered!

I'm using mine (ADC version) as my sixth display primarily for folders I keep open all the time. But it was my primary display for years.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
The original 22-inch Apple Cinema Display :D

View attachment 1815050

It was made in the second week, i.e. January, of 2000. I'd preferred it to have been made in 1999 but oh well...

View attachment 1815051

Thank heavens for separate DVI, USB and power connections - no future-unproof ADC nonsense going on here. ;)

View attachment 1815052

The Apple Flat Panel Display 62W Power Adapter, made in week 51, i.e. December, of 1999 (woohoo!).

View attachment 1815053

Interestingly, its 1600×1024 timing (which is 25:16, not 16:10 LOL) has a pixel clock ever so slightly higher than 112 MHz.

Code:
Mode = 1600 × 1024 @ 59,938Hz
        Pixel Clock............. 112,27 MHz         Non-Interlaced

Horizontal         Vertical
        Active.................. 1600 pixels        1024 lines
        Front Porch.............   88 pixels           1 lines
        Sync Width..............   16 pixels           1 lines
        Back Porch..............  104 pixels          10 lines
        Blanking................  208 pixels          12 lines
        Total................... 1808 pixels        1036 lines
        Scan Rate...............  62,096 kHz         59,938 Hz

Image Size..............  470 mm             301 mm
        Border..................    0 pixels           0 lines

Sync: Digital separate with
                * Positive vertical polarity
                * Positive horizontal polarity

I thought the ATI Rage 128 Pro which shipped in the G4 towers the display was available/compatible with had a built-in TMDS transmitter limited to 112 MHz. Maybe it can just about run this timing, or it does have a higher limit after all. The legendary SGI 1600SW Flat Panel (the first-ever 1600×1024 LCD) has modelines with lower pixel clocks ranging from 103 to 108 MHz, e.g. this one.
very awesome to see you got one of these!

I wonder how OS X Server 1.2v3 and OS X 10.0.4 etc would play with it, with say a GeForce 2MX or something such?

(which I know is supported by those OS's but if you recall, would not boot properly with my 1080P monitor at native rez)

or even a Rage 128 since this is the largest monitor those support :)

Voodoo 5 5500 would be another interesting one to try as well

I had one for a brief moment in time to play with as I was shipping one to @bunnspecial that he had found in the UK

it had a very peculiar DVI output arrangement!

I have one 22", which is a little harder to find than the 23" that replaced it. Sadly, it is starting to die with a pink shade here and there. I remember being completely blown away when I first saw one used by a store employee in small computer store in Hong Kong. I only had a 15" CRT at the time and didn't even know that such jewels existed. I often went back to the store to stare at that screen, which he always seems to be doing something on. I wonder if he was creeped out by me?

that sounds like the CCFL backlight tubes are finally going mercury starved, they are replaceable although its probably quite involved to take such an LCD monitor apart to such a deep level, but it is doable :)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
Glad you finally got it delivered!
I only bought it last Saturday and it was delivered last Wednesday. Can't complain about slow shipping. :D The seller had unscrewed and removed the rear stand so there was no risk of it breaking off in transit (a fate suffered by one of the three 23s I had). Very happy to have received it unscathed.

it had a very peculiar DVI output arrangement!
Details please :D

very awesome to see you got one of these!
Yeah, I've wanted the original ACD for some time now. I had two 20s and three 23s (all acrylic) but no 22 - until now.

Now I just need an SGI 1600SW and I'm in monitor heaven LOL! (I suppose you could say I collect monitors!)

aorr

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Wow! Thanks for the post. I remember the first time I saw one of these in person…I think it was a year or so after release. My mind was blown. I remember them advertising it as being able to display two full-sized (scale?) pages of text at once. Mind blown!

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Wow this thing looks amazing. I love the late 90s/early 2000s aesthetic, and this monitor just screams it. Soo sad that the closest thing to this now that apple has available currently doesn’t even come with a stand… I also had no idea Apple had the largest computer LCD in its heyday.
I believe they call it the “Y2K” aesthetic these days; emphasis on translucent plastics, bubbly forms etc.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Is yours the ADC version? If so, could you extract its EDID using e.g. SwitchResX? I'd like to compare the timing to the DVI version.
It is indeed. I think it is the max accompaniment to the Cube with the stock GPU. The 23" screens I have won't display at full res. I'll have to find it. I think it is buried behind a lot of stuff in the loft atm, so I can't promise to dig it out right away. Just nag me here and there and I'll get it out at some stage and grab the EDID for you.

that sounds like the CCFL backlight tubes are finally going mercury starved, they are replaceable although its probably quite involved to take such an LCD monitor apart to such a deep level, but it is doable :)
I did try to take it apart at one stage. I broke the back leg on a 23" ACD that was in otherwise better shape functionally and tried to swap the hinge over with the good on on the 22". I gave up halfway as Apple, in its wisdom decided to employ glue alongside many more screws than the 23" model and didn't want to break the relatively brittle plastic housing.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK

I only had it for a brief time sadly, but on the hardware front it was fairly typical of the time with an external Silicon image TMDS transmitter

but the way it was handled in software was a bit weird, OS 9 clearly knew it was a Digitial/LCD output because it generated the squared off menu bar instead of the one with rounded corners it generates for analog outputs/CRTs

however all the display modes where that of VGA type modes

and the scaling was quite funky as well, for example in some modes it was quite pixelated
1628350757174.jpeg

all a bit funky!

Reactions: Slix and Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
OS 9 clearly knew it was a Digitial/LCD output because it generated the squared off menu bar instead of the one with rounded corners it generates for analog outputs/CRTs
Woah, I never knew about that different menu bar thing! IIRC 8.6 also generated a squared-off menu bar on my TiBook's LCD.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Woah, I never knew about that different menu bar thing! IIRC 8.6 also generated a squared-off menu bar on my TiBook's LCD.
indeed, it goes all the way back to System 7 and maybe even System 6 (on the Macintosh Portable)

1588687092075-png.912308

although im not sure how many people even at apple noticed it! given OS X never did anything like, but that may of just been a conscious design choice given one of Aqua's main things was rounded everything

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I remember some friends walking into my home office around 2001-2002 and they still stopped dead in their tracks when the saw my 22” Apple Cinema Display. “What the h*ll is that?” I’d been using it for two years or so so I was shocked that they were shocked. But it was in the days of 14-15” CRTs.

Edit: Oh yeah, mine was the ADC version and I had to buy a $200 adapter to get it to work with my original Graphite PowerMac G4 (450 MHz).

Last edited:
Reactions: Slix

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
indeed, it goes all the way back to System 7 and maybe even System 6 (on the Macintosh Portable)

1588687092075-png.912308

although im not sure how many people even at apple noticed it! given OS X never did anything like, but that may of just been a conscious design choice given one of Aqua's main things was rounded everything
You know what, I did notice a squared interface on my Titanium, which was different from the Six Dollar eMac's rounded interface. It threw me off because I was expecting it to be round regardless-- the menu bar afaik is always round in OS X pre-Leopard (least it's the case on my Aluminium) so I thought it translated to earlier versions as well. TMYK

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
I remember some friends walking into my home office around 2001-2002 and they still stopped dead in their tracks when the saw my 22” Apple Cinema Display. “What the h*ll is that?” I’d been using it for two years or so so I was shocked that they were shocked.
I treated myself to a 20" right after its introduction in 2003 (couldn't quite afford the 23" LOL). Everyone who saw it was amazed by its size and image quality. And so were the employees in the store where I bought it - because it worked great with my Windows machine (using the DVI to ADC adapter of course). I remember the conversation when I bought it:

Employee: "What Mac do you have?"
Me: "I have a PC."
Emp: "And you really want to connect it to that?"
Me: "Yep."
Emp: "And... you're absolutely sure this will work?"
Me: "We'll soon find out."

Good times. :)

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I treated myself to a 20" right after its introduction in 2003 (couldn't quite afford the 23" LOL). Everyone who saw it was amazed by its size and image quality. And so were the employees in the store where I bought it - because it worked great with my Windows machine (using the DVI to ADC adapter of course). I remember the conversation when I bought it:

Employee: "What Mac do you have?"
Me: "I have a PC."
Emp: "And you really want to connect it to that?"
Me: "Yep."
Emp: "And... you're absolutely sure this will work?"
Me: "We'll soon find out."

Good times. :)
The 20" was really a nice display... I have owned a few across the years but I gave them all up in trades or sales. It was the first widescreen I spent a lot of time with, it felt quite narrow at first because I was coming from 20" 4:3 displays and CRTs with about the same viewable size. But for a lot of programs I found the widescreen made things fit better. Slowly converted my setup from there.

I was quite disappointed though when they released the aluminum ones and still no height adjustment. I could forgive it on the acrylic ones because not even Dells had height adjustment until 2003, but to update them with a stand and not give it height adjustment? Ticked me off and one of the reasons I liked Dell displays for so long.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
It was the first widescreen I spent a lot of time with, it felt quite narrow at first because I was coming from 20" 4:3 displays and CRTs with about the same viewable size.
A 1600×1200 4:3 display has about 9% more pixels (total) or 150 additional lines. So going 20" 16:10 meant sacrificing some height. Still, coming from a 17" CRT running at 1152×864 (or 1280×960 when I needed more space) it was a nice upgrade. And I only replaced it in November 2010 to go 27" 2560×1440 so I definitely got my money's worth for a change. :)

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I got mine about 6-7 years ago, before prices for old computer hardware rocketed in general. At the time, I was after the Apple ADC to DVI adapter and spotted it on eBay sold together with a 22" display. I already had a couple of 23" screens and a 17" ACD so, it was purely the adapter I cared about. The seller was a bulk computer part recycler and not that clued up on Macs as he only listed the screen with a "power supply".

I got it for the Buy It Now bargain price that screens were going for at the time and a lot less than a separately listed adapter was fetching. When picking it up, I ended up at a small industrial park near Watford and a large shed which was packed to the rafters with apparently broken/obsolete laptops iMacs and desktops, both Apple and PC. One of the workers there pointed to one huge pile of TiBooks and snow white iBooks he hadn't found the time to list on eBay and asked me if I wanted to make an offer on them. By an offer, I think he meant something like a token few pounds just to take them off his hands. I got there in a small car and didn't really fancy spending weeks trying to fix scores of notebooks I didn't really need so I left with what I had bought. I did tell him what the "power adapter" actually was (the screen had an ADC connector) and that he had undersold it. He looked crestfallen but I didn't.

I now sort of regret not spending a bit of time pottering around in there and picking up some choice bits, either to get working or to salvage hard-to-get spare parts from but then I didn't realise how popular old tech was going to become.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
I did some background research:

With version 1.0 of the DVI specification finalised in April 1999, the original Cinema Display might well have been the very first DVI LCD announced (on August 31th, 1999)... but not necessarily the first to be released. While the announcement states expected availability in October 1999, a review published on February 28th, 2000 says the display was shown at Macworld in early January 2000, with actual availability starting on January 31st, 2000. In other words, there was no way for anyone (outside Apple at least) to lay hands on one of these in 1999. So I wonder if mine, manufactured between January 10th and 16th, 2000, is one of the earliest units slated for a retail release.

I also wonder if the DVI version of the 15" Studio Display, announced on December 2th, 1999 along with the ATI Rage 128 Pro DVI, ended up being available earlier than the 22", possibly making this one the first DVI LCD to make it to users.

Other manufacturers started shipping DVI LCDs in early 2000 as far as I can tell, with NEC's MultiSync LCD1525X being candidate for the first (available either in January or March 2000 according to my sources).

Digital LCDs with a standardised interface (i.e. they were not married to one specific graphics card) were available — or announced — as early as June 1998 though, using a variety of competing interfaces (Digital Flat Panel, Open LVDS Display Interface, Plug & Display) all eventually superseded by DVI.

Last edited:

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I only bought it last Saturday and it was delivered last Wednesday. Can't complain about slow shipping. :D The seller had unscrewed and removed the rear stand so there was no risk of it breaking off in transit (a fate suffered by one of the three 23s I had). Very happy to have received it unscathed.

Yeah, I've wanted the original ACD for some time now. I had two 20s and three 23s (all acrylic) but no 22 - until now.

Now I just need an SGI 1600SW and I'm in monitor heaven LOL! (I suppose you could say I collect monitors!)
I have a 1600sw that was connected to my G4 cube for years before I eventually retired both. I guy I bought it from back in 2005 threw the monitor in for free because he thought it was ugly. I don't think he knew exactly what he had on his hands.

Unfortunately its currently sitting in a closet now. Still looks quite good from what I can remember, but the backlight isn't as bright as it can be.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
I have a 1600sw that was connected to my G4 cube for years before I eventually retired both. I guy I bought it from back in 2005 threw the monitor in for free because he thought it was ugly. I don't think he knew exactly what he had on his hands.
Lucky you :D The last SGI 1600SW sold on the local eBay went for a pretty penny, and that was without the Multilink Adapter. Nonetheless, I do kind of regret not having jumped on it…

Last edited:
Reactions: yakult121
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.