World's Most Ethical Companies

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by belvdr, Mar 16, 2011.

1. belvdr macrumors 603

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

3. belvdr thread starter macrumors 603

I wasn't implying / insinuating they should be. Just making a note. :)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's not you. Rodimus Prime never fails to take the opportunity to criticize Apple. :)

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I see Microsoft is listed there. Mind you they don't actually produce anything. I guess its harder to be ethical when you have to employ a manufacturing workforce.

6. belvdr thread starter macrumors 603

Why does having a manufacturing workforce make it harder to be ethical? I ask because I work for a manufacturing company. I have found that ethics is directly related to the core business vaules and how those are applied across the company.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Plus there are other companies on the list who are manufacturers.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I guess "ethical" can have many meanings. :rolleyes:

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I find it amusing that 3 out of 4 of Australia's 'Big 4' banks is on that list. And the biggest of them all is missing (of which I am customer). Is it because they raised their interest rates too much? Make too much profit?

10. ehoui macrumors regular

If this was conducted as a survey, then this is about the perceptions of others. I don't think Apple is perceived as a company that does good for humankind. Whereas, the Gates foundation definitely helped and continues to help Microsoft's image in this light.

I'd love to see the survey questions though...

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed nor does a cult-like following mean they're good citizens.

12. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

lol. ethics and corporate governance.

i knew quite a few accounting grads who joined the Big 4 in external audit positions. they went in thinking that post Enron and SOX, corporations would actually change their behavior or practices. 3 or 4 years later, none of them continued that line of thought.

there's quite a few on the list that have been involved with sketchy financing practices (Jones Lang LaSalle), questionable management practices (Xerox), alleged Yakuza involvement (East Japan Railway), class discrimination (Housing Development Finance) etc. that's just at a quick glance.

at the end of the day, most people just call it business :D

13. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Yep. So true. Ethics don't really apply when incentives are involved; there's inherently people who bend the rules and regulations in order to maximize personal gain through said incentives. Inherently businesses can never be ethical. Sounds a bit bleak, but true. This list should aptly be renamed to include a disclaimer about visibility-- just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening.

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Apple is a company and must make a profit. Being ethical wouldn't be high on my list, if on my list at all, if I owned a company.

15. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Corporations

No corporation is ethical... hence the mess we are in because of them. I need not say any further.. Apple, however is a people's corporation owned by the People.

16. OllyW, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What do you mean by the People?

17. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

What did I mean?

Apple's customers are what keeps Apple going and they in turn influence the share holders of the company.. From what I know, Apple is a publically traded company and not a private one person corporation.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is that ethics and morality cannot be legislated.

19. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

i did some liberal rounding up, those positions still only account for 20% of the equity. the remaining 80% is split between board, executive management and other parties. i'd say that very much is still owned by the "people".

most people stop at ethics and morality, which is fine, but it really doesn't paint the whole picture. there's a huge fundamental difference in business values in starting a business, maintaining a business and continuing a profitable business* .

start ups can sing about morals and ethics and not "being evil". a mature/maturing company suddenly realizes adulthood brings a much more complex set of problems into mix where previously hardcore ethical boundaries sudden seem much more... fluid.

if any of you get a chance, find a HBS case study (the title escapes me at the moment) that analyzed Microsoft's change in management strategy and attitude from startup till early 2000. the reality is that Google's progression almost mirrored MS's as if they were long lost twins. a simple fact that most tech bloggers avoid or don't know about.

*note: this is a very simplified statement as there many more scenarios such as financially distressed, bankrupt etc.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

"Ethics" are always subjective in articles like this.

Usually, "donates to charity" will be considered to vastly supercede negatives like "steals from customers", "implements and enforces draconian policies on customers" *cough*ISPs*cough*, or "treats its customers like criminals" *cough*DRM*cough*, or positives like treatment of employees or enforcing workforce standards on their manufacturing partners overseas (which I've never heard of anyone other than Apple do).

I'm not saying Apple should be high on the list, but that the list itself should be taken with a grain of salt.

Telecom companies shouldn't even be on this list xD though I'd consider T-Mobile the most 'ethical' of U.S. providers, though they arguably haven't had the chance to strongarm anyone with marketshare yet.