World's Most Expensive Cities...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Turkish, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Turkish macrumors 6502

And the winners are...

Link.

2. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Moscow?! Anyone else surprised that's number 1? I would've thought too that Dublin would be higher up on the list.

3. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

I would have thought New York would have been much higher on that list as well.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Not surprised London is so high, but how come Tokyo has slipped to #4? That used to be the most expensive by a long way.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Methodology plays a huge part:

"A luxury two-bedroom in Moscow now rents for $4,000 a month; a CD costs $24.83, and an international newspaper, $6.30, according to Mercer. By comparison, a fast food meal with a burger is a steal at $4.80."

Sure, legal CDs cost 24.83, but pirated CDs (available at any mall) cost about one or two dollars. An international paper may cost $6.30, but the locally produced Moscow Times (in English) is either free or very cheap. And instead of that burger at McDonalds, you can get lavash by the metro for $1.25. The problem is that Russia has a long history of "screw the foreigner" pricing (as do most places really), but that doesn't really mean that's what it costs to live there if you know what you're doing.

As for rent in Moscow, yeah, that's expensive.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I can't believe Moscow topped London. I wonder how they come up with these results. London is mind-blowingly expensive in every way.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I agree, having been to both within the last year, but it does depend on what you're comparing. I think hotels (as in there are no cheap ones that foreign travelers would have access to) and tickets to shows are going to be more expensive in Moscow.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Ah, right. From that perspective that makes sense. I regularly drop my jaw at the cost of things in London. I'd venture the cost of LIVING in London to perhaps exceed that but this is purely speculation. All that being said however, this is coming from someone who grew up in the US (the los angeles area) so it's not a big surprise that I'd move here and be startled by the cost.

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If this is the same survey as what I heard on the news this morning, it charts the most expensive cities for foreigners to move to. So the fact that the British pound is so incredibly strong at the moment will play a big part in where it is. And the fact that the dollar seems to be on the decline will explain the position of NYC.

10. Queso macrumors G4

You should count your lucky stars you didn't end up falling in lurve with a Russian then :p

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm sorry, but I can't believe Moscow is more expensive than London, either. I haven't lived in Moscow, but I really can't imagine a place more expensive than London. Tokyo is expensive, but I'm not quite sure if you can compare the two cities. If you compare a 120 square metre flat in central London to one in central Tokyo, then sure, I can imagine Tokyo being more expensive. However, in terms of everything else, London is more expensive for everything I can think of.

On that note, what happened to Sydney? It was at #4 several years ago, and now it's not even on the list? Did they investigate the pricing properly? I'm shocked by Sydney prices.....almost as shocked as I was when I moved to London. Sydney is definitely expensive. It may not be #1, but it should really be on the list.

And I heard about Seoul. I couldn't believe it because I went there like 15 years ago, but my new professor (for the next 8-10 months or so) is from Seoul and he told me that it's one of the most expensive cities. :eek:

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

did you mean you haven't lived in moscow? either that or i'm not understanding something here (really late for me). :eek:

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Really? I was there twice last year and found it very reasonable (but then I live in London). I found food and drink in particular to be very good value. Perhaps not cheap, but the quality was mind blowing. If you compared to similar quality food in London the price was amazingly low...

14. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I thought London was the most expensive city in the world but didn't expect Moscow to be number#1 on that list.

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Sydney is #21.

16. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I thought London would be number 1. Man is that place expensive (especially with the horribly week U.S. dollar). Not surprised about NY though- NY isn't really that expensive (not regarding rent, of course).

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I haven't looked through the full list but I would've expected Tehran to be in the top ten.

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Can someone tell me what country #6 is in? I've never even heard of it.:confused:

19. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Denmark?

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Correct, it is in fact the capital of Denmark. <Insert remark about Americans here>

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Haha, I had to bite my tongue as well on that one - just too easy... :p :D

From what I remember, Russia was #1 last year as well, de-throning Tokyo - but I, too, am surprised Tokyo has now slipped to #4. From my multiple trips to London (and England in general) I can attest to the stuipidly high costs as well but being a world traveller and having a decent perspective on things, I have to say I am a little surprised it's #2 now... :cool:

22. jono_3 macrumors regular

23. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I expected New York City to be much higher on the list... I guess we Americans have it pretty good.:eek:

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Fixed.

Living in the south, I would expect that you would know the name from the chewing tobacco (either from seeing it in stores or because of NASCAR sponsorship, even if you don't follow it yourself). :confused:

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes it is. On average 70% of a person's income in Vancouver goes towards suppporting the carrying costs of a 2-story home! :eek: