All iPads Worldwide launch logistics...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I was just sitting here thinking what an incredible feat of logistics it must be to get several million iPads manufactured, to exacting standards, in a ridiculously short amount of time, in all kinds of color/capacity configurations. Box them. Seal them. Pack them in crates.

And then load them onto trucks or trains or however they leave the factory, get them to the docks or airports, load them on boats and planes, and dispense them across the planet. From the largest flagship Apple stores, to the small local chain stores, in dozens of countries across the planet. All within 48 hours or so.

No company does what Apple does, on the scale Apple does it, with any product of any size.

Imagine if mankind put that kind of effort into getting food to starving people...then we could all read about the end of world hunger on our iPads!

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes, it is totally amazing what took place over the past few days, and the months leading up to it.

Sadly, many do not take the whole logistics thing seriously and only want their ipad, NOW.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not sure I follow b/c cracking world hunger is a tougher nut to crack than shuffling boxes around. What USAID & similar agencies in other govt's do is a lot more complex & w/ higher barriers: http://www.usaid.gov. How do you conclude a meaningful effort isn't being made?

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I always thought their preorder days were impressive. I mean, it's one thing to ship to a bunch of stores, and have the stores hold product for sale. But the whole preorder, be able to see my serial number in advance, following the tracking number, and almost everyone getting theirs right on launch day... That was always impressive!

Clint

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I do not think the poster was making any derogatory remarks or even a comment about what is being done. He did not offer and conclusions.

I believe the post was just highlighting the remarkable chain of events. And, if we could do the same thing with world hunger, it would be great. Of course that is a very difficult problem and can not be compared that easily. Just a comment.

6. profets macrumors 68040

I've worked in logistics and freight forwarding for a global company, and seeing what Apple does has absolutely blown my mind.

From what I've seen, Apple seems so bloody efficient.

I remember the first few iPhones. The boxes were less than half the size of the average cell phone box, and when moving millions of units it makes a massive difference in cost and time. And only theirs would stay shrink wrapped until it hit the store/customer while so many other OEMs would have multiple stops, unboxings, firmware updates, carrier customizations which would add so much time and unnecessary costs.

Tim Cook has mentioned how they deplete/cycle full through inventory every 4-6 weeks which is insanely impressive compared to any other company out there.

Lol, bit off topic, but I'm sure most have no idea what happens behind the scenes.

7. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj