Worm.gen infect the mac?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jwolf6589, Aug 31, 2014.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Lately my Mac has been bombed with malaware as Safari got a major hit. I bought MacKeeper which found about 36 or so files infected with this worm.gen whatever that is. However after the clean and removal of the virus, Safari still was not working properly and the only way to get rid of the malaware was a applescript called TSM Adware Removal Tool which got rid of the malaware. However I have no idea how I got the worm.gen file as I use both Apple Mail and Outlook 2011 for email management. I get allot of spam which is sent to the junk mail folder. The malaware that was removed by the Applescript was not called worm.gen. So my theory is that worm.gen is meant to infect PC's.

Thanks..

2. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Im sure someone can give you some tips on how to get this removed. Personally I would recommend you backup all your personal files & software and do a clean install, this will remove all malware and give you a fresh start. This may not be the best option depending on how much time it would take you to get your mac back to the state you want, but could be your last resort.

3. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Or just run MacKeeper.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

MacKeeper itself is some form of malware already.

5. 53kyle, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Exactly. MacKeeper is the ONLY malware on your computer, OP. Worm.gen is a windows only malware, I think.

6. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

7. bingefeller macrumors 6502

How do you know that your Mac has malware on it? Threads like this make me paranoid that I have something on my machine that I don't know about. I'm curious as to what symptoms make you aware that you have a virus on your Mac.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There don't appear to be any viruses floating around out there yet for OS X, but there is a fair amount of malware and adware. All of it that I have seen lately is getting installed along with regular apps or extensions that you installed yourself.

This happens from downloading pirate software, or more recently sites like Softonic and download.com have been including adware and malware into the installers of applications you download from them. So you download an application like say Firefox from one of these sites and do the installation normally, only to later learn the site bundled adware in along with the installer. Very sneaky.

You can run this adware scanner to see if you have any malware/adware you may have inadvertently installed.

9. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Thanks. Nothing untoward found on my machine, thankfully. :)

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why or why do people insist on buying MacKeeper? :rolleyes: