Worn home button fixed by upgrade!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by rdrr, Sep 19, 2012.

1. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

I have been suffering through the worn down home button on my iPhone 4, for about 6 months now. Broke down yesterday and bought a replacement from iFixit. Today's iOS 6 update has fixed the issue.

2. craznar macrumors regular

No it hasn't.

3. rdrr thread starter macrumors 6502a

rdrr

I am telling you that I had to push three or four time to get a registered click. It is now responsive every time I push it.

4. ajfoggy macrumors newbie

I have this issue and it's not gone on mine

5. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

I was crippled. I upgraded to ios 6, and now I can walk.

6. dec. Suspended

dec.

The upgrade also removed all fingerprints off the screen of my iPhone4. Well done, Apple!!

7. craznar macrumors regular

Hint - software updates don't fix worn components.

I don't doubt your problem is fixed, I am just stating that a software update didn't fix it.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I believe you. But the reason may be independent from iOS 6.

In my case, I was entirely ready to upgrade my aging iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5, along with my son, to whom I'd long ago promised an upgrade. Well, I ended up upgrading his line only, figuring I'd save the bucks and stretch my iPhone 4 for a while yet. The only problem was, my phone's home switch had been getting super-cranky over the past couple months, needing multiple presses and basically being unresponsive. That upgrade was looking necessary.

Until... the misbehavior stopped this past weekend. I have no idea why. No software changes, no "recalibration" attempts, nothing. Now, I did drop it, but it wasn't much of a drop and the landing surface wasn't super-hard, but some folks contend that a good whack has solved their button issues, so maybe that's what it was?

One way or another, the button issue is resolved for now, and I thank whatever did it.

9. ian1 macrumors newbie

I can believe this, few of my colleagues and I (all with iPhone 4) have had this problem for months, Home button randomly stops working, requiring 2,3, 4, sometimes 20 presses, then for no apparent reason it will start working again for days or weeks before "breaking" again.

It is entirely possible that it's software related.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

There are those who contend that there is a calibration which can improve the home switch. IIRC, one does a little tap-dance with one of the built-in apps and the home switch, the result being that the phone adapts to the changing resistance of the aging switch. I've never found the process to be terribly effective with my particular phone, but it's very possible that such a calibration process could be part of an upgrade.

But, per my previous post, it could be something else going on too. A piece of dust or debris that somehow got knocked out of the switch mechanism, for example.

11. terrywfoster macrumors regular

iOS6 did not fix the home button

Mine is still jacked.

12. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Mine was like that and after upgrading to iOS 6, I can gladly say... It's still like that. At times, I still want to throw it at a wall.

13. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Looool

14. almlof macrumors newbie

I don't know if it's "fixed" or fixed, but my home button is acting a lot better after the iOS 6 upgrade. Truly it can not fix a hardware problem but who says it was one to begin with?