Worn Out iMac CD Drive (video!!)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by deannnnn, Jul 9, 2007.

1. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I got my 20 inch iMac in 2004... I've had absolutely no problems with it... except for whenever I eject a CD, it goes flying across my desk! Whatever used to hold the CD half way out of the slot loading drive has worn out I guess. It doesn't really bother me as it has become natural to put my hand there and catch any ejecting CDs, but I just wanted to share the video I took of it with everyone here :)

http://www.cchsctv.com/deandagati/imaccd.html

Is this common on iMacs after a few years?

2. jonG macrumors member

Don't worry mine does the same exact thing. I think i have the same exact model you do, I got the first generation of the revision in 2004. I always have to hold my hand there. My 2 buddies both have the same exact machine I do and they both have the same exact problem. It is the gray plastic that gets worn out and doesn't stop the disk from flying out of the machine. I put some clear thick tape overlapping the drive slot and it helps to stop it most of the time. Sometimes its funny when you don't expect it and sometimes it just gets old. Good luck.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i thought it was gonna go flying.. i call that more of a drop :p
    Non the less pretty funny how it just sorta plops down

4. bozigle macrumors regular

You could try you luck on ebay... this is really a special edition

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah my Rev B G5 iMac had the same problem, finally got Apple to take it back (not for that reason in particular though). It was annoying however.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

My original iMac G5 from September 04 did this also, only started happening about a year of ownership.