Worn out screw holding the hard drive - can't upgrade!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helix21, Jun 3, 2010.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

Weird title but here goes - I bought myself a 500GB WD drive so I can give my macbook pro the much needed upgrade. I have the late 2008 ones, where there is a latch which gives you access to the batterys so changing it was an easy job - or so I thought.

The first step was the remove the single screw holding the plastic latch which blocks the hard drive. I had to use a Philips #00 screwdriver and immediately though - what a stubborn screw! I kept on trying and now I think, have worn out (I don't know if that is the right term, but you get the idea) the screw!
    So basically my screwdriver gets almost no traction on it at all and you can almost revolve it completely :(

So how can I remove this screw? (please tell me there is way) because I don't want my hard drive upgrade to go to waste. I could put it in an enclosure and use it as an external one, but that defeats the purpose really of the upgrade and the portability of the brilliant machine.

Here's a pic so you know what I am talking about -

[​IMG]

Close up

[​IMG]

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

If you can get your hands on a dremel tool or something similar, you can etch a horizontal slot across the head and use a flat head screw driver the remove it (will require a steady hand...and a some masking tape)

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hapened to me too on my mb

Use needle pliers and twist the outside of the screw. Thank god there is room to use needle pliers. Worked for me

4. phibe1 macrumors member

needle nose worked for me... just be careful !

5. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Deeya macrumors member

A stripped screw remover is much safer than using a dremel tool if you don't want to go the pliers route.

The craftsman screw-out comes in a small enough size I believe.

7. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Had a quick look at a wikiHow article and its looks far to complicated and risky for my liking!

This is the first time I have actually done an upgrade and 'opened up' a computer before so annoying that my first experience gave me a worn out (is 'stripped' the term?) screw.

8. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

so much newfagging in the first post lol, use pliers man works like a charm, just don't use the same screw when you put the other drive in, get a replacement one that isn't stripped and next time use more down force and a screw driver that fits better

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Where do you get a replacement one?

10. Deeya macrumors member

You should be able to get a replacement screw from a hardware store or radio shack. The Ace Hardware near where I live has tons of small screws, you should be able to match it up, won't cost more than $0.25

The screw out is very easy to use, just twist in the opposite direction of the threading on the screw, and out it comes.

11. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I'm sorry, may I help you?

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The term is stripped. And definitely go the craftsman screw out damaged screw remover way, much easier than pliers. Good luck.

13. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Yes you can use a small set of needle nose pliers to do it. Just use a good amount of pressure but be very careful not to slip and scratch the case.

If it comes down to it and nothing works you can always use a small drill bit and carefully drill the top of the screw off. This would be a last resort though.

Good luck keep us updated.