Worried about Apple Pencil snapping in that ridiculous charging setup hanging off the iPad? Don't.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LiemTa, Nov 17, 2015.

1. LiemTa, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

LiemTa macrumors regular

Apple thought of that too.

The pencil's lightning port doesn't fit flush against the iPad Pro as a regular lightning cable would. This way, it slips out of the port if you accidentally tug or push against it.

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I think real pressure tests need to be made to make sure that it is solid enough not to worry about (because, frankly, that video shows me about how much I expected the pencil to handle)

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's not the primary charging method, that's your backup if you fall short during the day. That said it only needs to be plugged in for a few seconds to get a significant amount of usage time.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

5. LiemTa thread starter macrumors regular

Just like with enough force you can bend your iPhone.

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

It will take much less force to stap the connector, from experience. There's enough mass to increase tension in that small connector it's not like trying to bend an iPhone...

7. Absrnd macrumors regular

Absrnd

This is what it really takes to brake it.

8. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Seems to be sturdier than we might have reasonably expected. Certainly looks to be strong enough for the occasional mishap and good to see that it's the Pencil that eventually breaks and not the iPad charging port.

9. hubieonekanubie macrumors member

hubieonekanubie

Anything will break with enough force. I wish people would go out and do torture tests on $10k rolexes and such because they're supposed to built tough.

10. Apple84 macrumors newbie

Nobody would abuse it like you did. Anything will break with enough force.

11. Nickash28 macrumors member

They also have emphasized the ability to charge pencil without removing silicone case. The reason it sticks out for you.

12. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I don't care that it not flash with the iPad. my problem is that it look like the pencil plug is too big.
    I have hard time to plug it in.

13. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I've read that Apple has decided to ship a lightning to lightning adaptor to plug the Pencil into, instead of the iPad.

I wonder if this is contributing to the delays.

14. LiemTa thread starter macrumors regular

Also read that manufacturing the Pencil is incredibly complex. Who knows though. We want to know, so naturally, Apple will not say.

15. xPad macrumors regular

He really needed to test the hinge in the end piece after it snapped off. I think that's where the bending was coming from before, and it would be nice to see how it's designed.

It snapped because he went past the hinge's capability to bend, so the whole end piece pressed against the outer casing and that's what gave way.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Just got a Pencil today. Mine has essentially no give or flexibility at this apparent hinge point.

17. LiemTa thread starter macrumors regular

It's barely going to give if you try to bend the hinge with your fingers. It needs to be in the charge slot. Do you know how force is affected by the length of a lever?

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I do. But I've seen some YouTube video of people who seem to have easily flexible hinges. Mine is not. Not too concerned though.