Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiemTa

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Apple thought of that too.

The pencil's lightning port doesn't fit flush against the iPad Pro as a regular lightning cable would. This way, it slips out of the port if you accidentally tug or push against it.

Last edited:
Reactions: arminta7

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I think real pressure tests need to be made to make sure that it is solid enough not to worry about (because, frankly, that video shows me about how much I expected the pencil to handle)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Apple thought of that too.

That's not the primary charging method, that's your backup if you fall short during the day. That said it only needs to be plugged in for a few seconds to get a significant amount of usage time.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Just like with enough force you can bend your iPhone.

It will take much less force to stap the connector, from experience. There's enough mass to increase tension in that small connector it's not like trying to bend an iPhone...

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Seems to be sturdier than we might have reasonably expected. Certainly looks to be strong enough for the occasional mishap and good to see that it's the Pencil that eventually breaks and not the iPad charging port.

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
Anything will break with enough force. I wish people would go out and do torture tests on $10k rolexes and such because they're supposed to built tough.

Nickash28

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
They also have emphasized the ability to charge pencil without removing silicone case. The reason it sticks out for you.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I don't care that it not flash with the iPad. my problem is that it look like the pencil plug is too big.
I have hard time to plug it in.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I've read that Apple has decided to ship a lightning to lightning adaptor to plug the Pencil into, instead of the iPad.

I wonder if this is contributing to the delays.

LiemTa

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
I've read that Apple has decided to ship a lightning to lightning adaptor to plug the Pencil into, instead of the iPad.

I wonder if this is contributing to the delays.

Also read that manufacturing the Pencil is incredibly complex. Who knows though. We want to know, so naturally, Apple will not say.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
He really needed to test the hinge in the end piece after it snapped off. I think that's where the bending was coming from before, and it would be nice to see how it's designed.

It snapped because he went past the hinge's capability to bend, so the whole end piece pressed against the outer casing and that's what gave way.

LiemTa

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Just got a Pencil today. Mine has essentially no give or flexibility at this apparent hinge point.

It's barely going to give if you try to bend the hinge with your fingers. It needs to be in the charge slot. Do you know how force is affected by the length of a lever?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It's barely going to give if you try to bend the hinge with your fingers. It needs to be in the charge slot. Do you know how force is affected by the length of a lever?
I do. But I've seen some YouTube video of people who seem to have easily flexible hinges. Mine is not. Not too concerned though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.