Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zcohenzion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
I want to get an 11" iPad pro (Cellular), but i'm hesitant since there is no option to return the product in my country (there is no official apple store here, only re-seller). Should I take a risk and buy? thx

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
think the bends are so small that it doesnt matter when put the smart cover or something on. only thing is that its tiny small "space" if you put it flat on table instead of 100% flat.. and if put camera down its never flat anyways

Reactions: Newtons Apple

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If you don’t have the chance to return a defective product I’m not sure what to advise. Make sure you see what you buy and take it out of the box in the store before handing over your money.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I want to get an 11" iPad pro (Cellular), but i'm hesitant since there is no option to return the product in my country (there is no official apple store here, only re-seller). Should I take a risk and buy? thx

Do not purchase it, not worth the risk.

zcohenzion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Thanks for the replies. Yea I guess it’s too risky to buy it here if I can’t return...

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California

OMG MATE!!!!! That’s the problem with these enthusiast sites. A handful of people post about something and immediately its FUD (look it up). The blogger sites want eyeballs so they pick these things up and instantly its an epidemic.

I have a first production run 3rd gen 12.9 1TB SG LTE ipad. Had this sucker since they started shipping a couple months ago or whatever. This is my only apple product (I’m a proud android user but the pad is a beast) but its my 3rd ipad as I’ve had all LTE generations.

I throw this pad in a backpack with a lot of other bulky things. It has no screen protector and its put in a flimsy slip case (but stylish!! :) ) . ZEREO bends mate. Still looks brand new. I use it 5 days a week daily with Ethernet. It’s a laptop replacement.

I’m sure there are more people out there with NO ISSUES who DONT post up to an enthusiast site to say how their pad is not bent because, frankly, they dont even know bent iPads is a “thing”.

I say buy the iPad of your choice , like hundreds of other people have done and moveOn.org... :p

Reactions: MisterSavage

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Seriously. I wouldn’t worry about it, most of these iPads you see that are bent are done by the end user by accident. they probably bent it on accident, then checked there’s after reading about this issue online. And said “ My iPad is bent”

Just buy an iPad, if you want an iPad.

My iPad Pro 11” is fine. Sure you can examine it with an angle finder, and under close examination you can see it is not exactly straight. But you can’t tell! My iPad is straight enough.

I could hand my iPad to anyone, and say inspect this please, and no body would think it was bent, or even see a bend.

I’m happy with it..

I would not worry about what you read online.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Those who are saying 'don't worry about it'' probably live in countries where it is very easy to replace/return an apple product.

The OP has stated they live in a country that does not have an official apple presence, and as such, it's not worth taking the risk.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
If you don’t have the chance to return a defective product I’m not sure what to advise. Make sure you see what you buy and take it out of the box in the store before handing over your money.

Do you know what are you talking about ? Can such a thing be possible ? Who on Earth lets you open a Brand New Sealed Gadget Box and then lets you decide you wanna pay for it and buy it or not ? Are you in your senses to even suggest that ??
[doublepost=1548779283][/doublepost]

Do you mind in telling which country are you trying to buy in ?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Seriously. I wouldn’t worry about it, most of these iPads you see that are bent are done by the end user by accident. they probably bent it on accident, then checked there’s after reading about this issue online. And said “ My iPad is bent”

My iPad Pro 11” is fine. Sure you can examine it with an angle finder, and under close examination you can see it is not exactly straight. But you can’t tell! My iPad is straight enough.

I could hand my iPad to anyone, and say inspect this please, and no body would think it was bent, or even see a bend.

I’m happy with it..

There's a poll here on MR, with a significant number of responses, that indicates that the probability of receiving a bowed LTE iPad Pro is something to consider. If I were in the market for an LTE Pro, I'd want to see it in the store first before buying it. For the non-LTE models, I wouldn't be worried (the percentage is noticeably lower).

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
The Bent iPad Issue I have only heard it from the Customers in the U.S No one other than U.S Customers are saying about it. I haven't seen anyone from U.K or Europe or Hong-Kong who have reported such a Rampant issue !

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Do you know what are you talking about ? Can such a thing be possible ? Who on Earth lets you open a Brand New Sealed Gadget Box and then lets you decide you wanna pay for it and buy it or not ? Are you in your senses to even suggest that ??
[doublepost=1548779283][/doublepost]

Do you mind in telling which country are you trying to buy in ?

Not sure why you have problems understanding my post. Maybe read it again. The OP says returning is impossible. So what do you ask the seller then if there is indeed no chance to return it? Of course you would want to see it in the shop. Ever purchased a good monitor from a dedicated retail supplier? Same thing. Check the product you buy.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Remember the amount effected is a low amount not everybody has the issue. If you want it then i say go for it.

inghulent73

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Well, only buy it if you are ok with the chance that it might be bent when you open the box. I would say go with the 10.5 if you are not able to return it after opening the box.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Not sure why you have problems understanding my post. Maybe read it again. The OP says returning is impossible. So what do you ask the seller then if there is indeed no chance to return it? Of course you would want to see it in the shop. Ever purchased a good monitor from a dedicated retail supplier? Same thing. Check the product you buy.

I very well understood what you wrote and it is the most stupidest thing to suggest to anyone. You are saying see the product in the store and then decide, do you mean to say the store guy will unbox a sealed packed brand new product without paying and then let the OP decide if he wants to buy it or not ? Which store on earth lets you do that ?

Last edited by a moderator:

trionic

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019

I’m happy with it..

how all these people are bending their ipads by accident? bending them in the short side by accident?

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
For the 11" iPad Pro with LTE every single one i've seen has a very slight bend/bow at the cellular antenna cut-outs. I've seen over 15 now and returned a few in the beginning due to the bend. I decided to keep mine since I think this is either a small deisgn flaw or an illusion, because it is really only visible from a certain angle and does not impact day to day use.

That said, if you live in a country where you cannot return it then I do not think it's worth the risk (if a slight bend/bow) would bother you. Now some of the pictures on here are visibly bent from an angle. I have not experienced that at all.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
I live in the U.S. where I could easily return one if it was bent. Regardless, there have been way too many instances where people have bent iPads. I was going to replace mine and my wife's iPad Pro's this year with the new version until I saw the bending issue crop up. I am now waiting until the next version to see if they fix the issue. If I lived somewhere where I couldn't return it in case it was bent there is absolutely no way I would purchase one. And I am one who usually defends Apple in this forum.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
For the 11" iPad Pro with LTE every single one i've seen has a very slight bend/bow at the cellular antenna cut-outs. I've seen over 15 now and returned a few in the beginning due to the bend. I decided to keep mine since I think this is either a small deisgn flaw or an illusion, because it is really only visible from a certain angle and does not impact day to day use.

That said, if you live in a country where you cannot return it then I do not think it's worth the risk (if a slight bend/bow) would bother you. Now some of the pictures on here are visibly bent from an angle. I have not experienced that at all.

Well the very first one I bought a few weeks ago is absolutely perfect; lays perfectly flat on a table (well, with the exception of where the camera bump is), in the case, etc. I’ve held it and looked down the top and bottom as shown on here - nothing.

I’m not arguing that others have this issue; it’s fairly clear on here that there are bent iPads out there. I just think there are plenty others who are not having the experience you’re describing. (And yes, it’s an 11” LTE)

That being said, if you were to get one with a very slight bend and that would bother you (it probably would have me, which is why I was hesitant to purchase based on what I was reading), I might skip it since you have no return option.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Well the very first one I bought a few weeks ago is absolutely perfect; lays perfectly flat on a table (well, with the exception of where the camera bump is), in the case, etc. I’ve held it and looked down the top and bottom as shown on here - nothing.

I’m not arguing that others have this issue; it’s fairly clear on here that there are bent iPads out there. I just think there are plenty others who are not having the experience you’re describing. (And yes, it’s an 11” LTE)

That being said, if you were to get one with a very slight bend and that would bother you (it probably would have me, which is why I was hesitant to purchase based on what I was reading), I might skip it since you have no return option.

I should have mentioned mine also lays flat on a table, but when viewed from one angle there is a slight bend/bow at the antenna cutouts. I did mention in my post that it might be an illusion because it's only noticable from that one angle. While there is no way to see every iPad, I feel pretty confident based on the current design that this is very common on the 11" LTE models.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I should have mentioned mine also lays flat on a table, but when viewed from one angle there is a slight bend/bow at the antenna cutouts. I did mention in my post that it might be an illusion because it's only noticable from that one angle. While there is no way to see every iPad, I feel pretty confident based on the current design that this is very common on the 11" LTE models.

A lot of the pics I’ve seen on here of the bent ones showed them in a case where there would be a slightly larger gap between the pad and the case because of the bend. Mine lays completely flat whether I put it face up or down - no difference anywhere. I just don’t feel like there can be a bend and still be totally flat.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
OP ! Do post your 11" iPad cellular picture should you decide to do the dare ! Will help to know what the situation in rest of the world !

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
A lot of the pics I’ve seen on here of the bent ones showed them in a case where there would be a slightly larger gap between the pad and the case because of the bend. Mine lays completely flat whether I put it face up or down - no difference anywhere. I just don’t feel like there can be a bend and still be totally flat.
That’s why I said it might be an illusion, because mine looks bent but lays flat. All of the 15 had the same issue (didn’t lay them all flat though - just was looking for the bending) when viewed from that one angle only.

None of the iPad’s I’ve seen have looked anywhere near the level of bent as some of these pictures though. That’s scary!

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I very well understood what you wrote and it is the most stupidest thing to suggest to anyone. You are saying see the product in the store and then decide, do you mean to say the store guy will unbox a sealed packed brand new product without paying and then let the OP decide if he wants to buy it or not ? Which store on earth lets you do that ?

Of course stores let you do that. At least here in the US. When you're spending $1,000+, most stores I've been to will absolutely open the item upon request. For the reasons listed here in this thread. So you know you're getting a good product before parting with your money.

I can't say that the poster will be able to do that at their store in their country. But to say it doesn't happen is just plain wrong.

As they say, it never hurts to ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.