Worried about buying an older MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaveUK, Feb 8, 2011.

1. DaveUK macrumors newbie

I will be looking to buy an older MBP towards the end of the month - probably 2008ish model - and after reading about the nvidia and logic board issues, which seem to have effected a large number of machines, I am a bit worried I may be setting myself up for a fall.

Am I worrying unnecessarily or is there a particular range/model I should be looking to avoid? I am looking at the 15" and my budget will be £800 ($1200).

Thanks for any tips

Cheers
    Dave

2. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

With a budget of 1200, you should be able to find a 2009 15 inch model if you look hard enough. I sold my 2009 15 inch with 9600gt on craigslist for 1100 last month.

3. Sirolway macrumors 6502

If you're getting an older / 2nd hand Mac, is it worth buying AppleCare for a year, just to make sure you're covreed in case of a nightmare?

AppleCare's not cheap, but you want some kind of a safety net, right?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can't add AppleCare after the standard 12 months warranty has expired.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I would personally avoid anything with the 8600M in it like the plague but if you can get a newer model then go for it.

6. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

7. DaveUK thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say newer model, how much newer are we talking?

Cheers

8. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Yeah, try to find a newer model of em. Late 2008 models are the first generation of uni MBP's and are one of the most buggy ones. Go for one that has apple care if you do get a late 08. I would go for one that at least has a SD card. 2009+. Im sure you could find one. Good luck searching!

9. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

I too have been in the market for a MBP. Found a nice used one for around the same price as you. However after a bit of research and forum posts, I think I'm going to go with a refurb from Apple. They are a decent price, not too much more than what you're currently looking at. They have the same wty as a new one. Plus you can get AppleCare. Look into getting a student discount on AppleCare.

Save up some more money, sell something, do an odd job over the next few weekends and you'll have enough.

I'm actually hoping with the rumored upcoming refresh, the refurbs will drop in price.

Good luck

10. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Im sure that when the MBP refresh is announced, many people ((Including me)) will be selling there computers on sites, eBay...etc. But when you look on sites like that, you gotta be careful!
    Its good that your going with a Apple Refurb, that's one smart move.

11. ethyleneguy2003 macrumors member

I'd stay away from any MBP made in the 2007-2008 period. Logic board failures are very common.

12. svenn macrumors 6502

Curious what the issue is with this hardware? I've had an early 08 since, well early 08, and no issues.

Uh oh, did I just jinx myself?

edited to add that I just read the last post. pls disregard

13. Swaggar macrumors newbie

If you have money then I will suggest you to go for a new one... :)

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

15. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I'm just about to head to the Apple Store after the first symptom showed up with my 4th motherboard which was installed last week. There is no fix for this problem, I would avoid it if you can.