Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Hi Friends !

So have been reading the story here of the 11" 2018 iPad Pro Cellular bent iPads and it is causing me great worry and is making me think should I take the plunge or not. I am in India, and though in India the issue has not been reprorted as widely as it has been in the U.S which makes me think maybe we guys are lucky that the Bent iPads have not touched Indian Shores.

However I am scared and nervous to make my purchase, I am planning to buy the Cellular Version of the 11" iPad Pro, so here are some best practices, things that I am gonna follow I know this is not a guarantee or full proof method of not getting a bent iPads but this is just to convince myself that I tried my best to avoid it, rest is fate !

So what I am gonna do is firstly The 2018 iPad Pros came to India in last week of Nov 2018 what I am gonna do is firstly wait a complete 3 Months Cycle a Quarter before I make the purchase the reason being, according to a couple of my friends in the Manufacturing Industry with any new product it atleast takes a quarter for the assembly line, production line to stabilize and start consistently churning out quality consistent products. So my logic behind this is if the bent phenomenon was a result of any quality lacking process, it will get rectified in this due course of time for which a quarter is good enough time.

Secondly I am gonna us the chipmunk site to check the production batch to check out the date when the product was manufactured and try to make a purchase of a very recently manufactured piece, the latest one which means something like a Feb-2019 or a March-2019 Make. So this is what I am gona do. Do you guys think this will anyways help, what are your thoughts on this ?

I know some, infact a lot of you guys will tell me this is waste of time and unnecessarily waiting, but spending a One Lakh Indian Rupees which is around $1500 USD is a lot of money for an average Indian to shell out on Apple's dream project.

Please tell me what do you guys think about my Risk Mitigation Idea!

One more thing before any one points this out Apple does not have its own stores in India, It operates via its Resellers in India so India does not have a 14 day return policy, once a product is sold under no circumstances it is taken back unless and untill it is a defective product.

Peace !!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
How about just checking if the iPad is bent when you receive it?? You're making the purchase anyways, right?? So why check the production date etc?? It'll be in your hands so just see if its bent or not?

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
How about just checking if the iPad is bent when you receive it?? You're making the purchase anyways, right?? So why check the production date etc?? It'll be in your hands so just see if its bent or not?

Like I said, Trying to check date is, lets say if I do not get a piece which is a Feb-2019 Manufactured or March-2019 Product I will postpone my Purchase and keep waiting till one of that date hits the store shelves. It is all about taking steps to minimize my risk.

Hansl

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
Hi Friends !

So have been reading the story here of the 11" 2018 iPad Pro Cellular bent iPads and it is causing me great worry and is making me think should I take the plunge or not. I am in India, and though in India the issue has not been reprorted as widely as it has been in the U.S which makes me think maybe we guys are lucky that the Bent iPads have not touched Indian Shores.

However I am scared and nervous to make my purchase, I am planning to buy the Cellular Version of the 11" iPad Pro, so here are some best practices, things that I am gonna follow I know this is not a guarantee or full proof method of not getting a bent iPads but this is just to convince myself that I tried my best to avoid it, rest is fate !

So what I am gonna do is firstly The 2018 iPad Pros came to India in last week of Nov 2018 what I am gonna do is firstly wait a complete 3 Months Cycle a Quarter before I make the purchase the reason being, according to a couple of my friends in the Manufacturing Industry with any new product it atleast takes a quarter for the assembly line, production line to stabilize and start consistently churning out quality consistent products. So my logic behind this is if the bent phenomenon was a result of any quality lacking process, it will get rectified in this due course of time for which a quarter is good enough time.

Secondly I am gonna us the chipmunk site to check the production batch to check out the date when the product was manufactured and try to make a purchase of a very recently manufactured piece, the latest one which means something like a Feb-2019 or a March-2019 Make. So this is what I am gona do. Do you guys think this will anyways help, what are your thoughts on this ?

I know some, infact a lot of you guys will tell me this is waste of time and unnecessarily waiting, but spending a One Lakh Indian Rupees which is around $1500 USD is a lot of money for an average Indian to shell out on Apple's dream project.

Please tell me what do you guys think about my Risk Mitigation Idea!

One more thing before any one points this out Apple does not have its own stores in India, It operates via its Resellers in India so India does not have a 14 day return policy, once a product is sold under no circumstances it is taken back unless and untill it is a defective product.

Peace !!

Indeed let us know how if this strategy works. The last I enquire, I was told by Apple Support that it may very well ONLY be rectified only in the next Model. According to him, it is unlike of Apple to change it's manufacturing process mid way into it's production.

However, I am hopeful that Apple can rectify this quietly so that the newer batches wont have the bend. This is with regards to the LTE model.

Anyone can share some light or experiences?

threeonthetree

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2018

How about knowing the fact that there had been lots of iPads that were not bent out of the box and became bent weeks or months later?

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
If you are this concerned about a product not living up to your expectations why purchase it in the first place?

It is a strange dilemma isn't it ? Can't live without having one and cannot buy it either. It does create a very inspiring, and interesting how an iPad can add value to your life and make your life easy and contribute to your life making you do your
Life task easy! It is very overwhelming and awe inspiring story !!
[doublepost=1549027231][/doublepost]
Indeed let us know how if this strategy works. The last I enquire, I was told by Apple Support that it may very well ONLY be rectified only in the next Model. According to him, it is unlike of Apple to change it's manufacturing process mid way into it's production.

However, I am hopeful that Apple can rectify this quietly so that the newer batches wont have the bend. This is with regards to the LTE model.

Anyone can share some light or experiences?

Of course if it is a inherent process of how the antenna bands are moulded on cellular models while the moulding process happens so it may not change but if it is correctable thing Apple can quietly rectify it right ? Who knows ?? And anyways why play with fire when it is a raging inferno ! Let the hype and hoopla die down and we will see how the picture emerges !!

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Every year I mean literally every year since the iPad was introduced back in 2011 there is some or the other problem story associated with the iPad that pops up ! Sometimes it is the yellow tint, sometimes it is WiFi not responding, and now we have a bent iPad Story !!

Reactions: Disconnect_00

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Like I said, Trying to check date is, lets say if I do not get a piece which is a Feb-2019 Manufactured or March-2019 Product I will postpone my Purchase and keep waiting till one of that date hits the store shelves. It is all about taking steps to minimize my risk.

How will the date change anything? I doubt Apple will suddenly change to a harder material a few months into production.
Even if you receive a completely straight iPad with a later production date, it's still susceptible to bending as demonstrated by many others. I just don't see how you are minimising your risk either way.
[doublepost=1549051797][/doublepost]
How about knowing the fact that there had been lots of iPads that were not bent out of the box and became bent weeks or months later?

Exactly, so how does the OP know that, even if he receives an unbent unit with a later production date, that it won't bent a few months into use? I very much doubt Apple would change materials mid way into production.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
How will the date change anything? I doubt Apple will suddenly change to a harder material a few months into production.
Even if you receive a completely straight iPad with a later production date, it's still susceptible to bending as demonstrated by many others. I just don't see how you are minimising your risk either way.

What happens after a Perfect Device comes to you, is completely dependent on how you use and take care of the product right ? I for one take good care of my Devices, and if it is $1500 device I better take care of it. I do not see carrying my iPad Pro in a back pack or something or where there is a lot of weight put on the iPad !

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
What happens after a Perfect Device comes to you, is completely dependent on how you use and take care of the product right ? I for one take good care of my Devices, and if it is $1500 device I better take care of it. I do not see carrying my iPad Pro in a back pack or something or where there is a lot of weight put on the iPad !

Then just buy one now. It will make no difference in 3 months or 6 months. 99.9% of us are enjoying our bend-free iPads, myself included.

boolCan

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
singapore
Since this is already Feb, i'd say wait for the Feb batch. It is possible that the processes may have been tweaked to improve any slight shortcomings. Similar logic as to why certain users never install the first iOS major version and wait for the point release.

Reactions: vish26

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Since this is already Feb, i'd say wait for the Feb batch. It is possible that the processes may have been tweaked to improve any slight shortcomings. Similar logic as to why certain users never install the first iOS major version and wait for the point release.

There you go ! Absolutely !! Infact I am gonna wait till March end and buy a March batch in March end or April absolutely no hurry !!

Hansl

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
There you go ! Absolutely !! Infact I am gonna wait till March end and buy a March batch in March end or April absolutely no hurry !!

Keep us posted here! I would like to know if there are changes to it by then. I am currently holding on to the 12.9 inch 2018 LTE and it certainly has the slight bend on the top and bottom as acknowledged by Apple themselves. So just ignore all the ignorant users who say that there isn't any.

Disconnect_00

Suspended
Jan 15, 2019
There won’t be changes, the bending issue is far overblown, and there’s no point in waiting to buy. You’re simply denying yourself something based around claims on the internet.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I got my 11” LTE pro a couple weeks ago, and it is absolutely perfect. It lays perfectly flat, is perfectly even in the case - not even a tiny disparity from one side to the other (and I’m obsessive, so I’ve looked - a lot), and there isn’t even a hint of a bend when I hold it and look down the top or bottom.

I even, gasp, have a screen protector that fits perfectly on the screen with no issues at all.

I say go for it whenever you’re ready!

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Every year I mean literally every year since the iPad was introduced back in 2011 there is some or the other problem story associated with the iPad that pops up ! Sometimes it is the yellow tint, sometimes it is WiFi not responding, and now we have a bent iPad Story !!
Here’s another well known issue with iPad Pro’s documented in a long thread on this forum and other internet sites. Unresponsive touch screens (momentarily freezes, stutters, won’t scroll). I have this well known issue with my 2018 Pro. I would happily settle for a slightly bent Pro over this one.
[doublepost=1549209722][/doublepost]
I got my 11” LTE pro a couple weeks ago, and it is absolutely perfect. It lays perfectly flat, is perfectly even in the case - not even a tiny disparity from one side to the other (and I’m obsessive, so I’ve looked - a lot), and there isn’t even a hint of a bend when I hold it and look down the top or bottom.

I even, gasp, have a screen protector that fits perfectly on the screen with no issues at all.

I say go for it whenever you’re ready!
Exactly. I purchased my 12.9 2018 Pro on release day. It’s physically perfect.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Apple isn't changing the manufacturing process for the new iPad. Ergo, waiting for 3 months is rather useless.

Using a site like chipmunk is not really productive.

You are trying to make the buying process harder than it should be. Go purchase the iPad. Check it before you leave the store. If there is a problem, tell someone and get another. If it should bend after purchase and you are concerned, take it to Apple for assessment. Real easy.

Reactions: Disconnect_00
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.