worried about moving my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lurrego, Mar 22, 2011.

1. lurrego macrumors member

This may be a stupid question, but i found it a little concerning given how I never experienced this with my old HP laptop:

Whenever Im working with my MBP on my lap, sometimes I'll want to move over somewhere, grab something, etc. and I'll bring the computer with me. When i carry it (mind you its a gentle carrying, no jerking around or anything), I can hear what sounds like the HD "skipping a beat", essentially sounds like a clicking sound. I know you shouldnt have a laptop in motion when the disk is spinning and all that, but like i said, I never heard it with my HP laptop and I was more aggressive with that thing. should I just not move it AT ALL? I feel like every time i hear that sound, soon after I will see the whole system shut down. any reassurance would be greatly appreciated

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

ARE YOU CRAZY?! Laptops weren't meant to be moved around! That's why they make them so light and give them batteries and make them so thin. Definitely not because they were meant to be moved around and that the noise you are hearing is actually the hard drive protecting itself from potential damage by stopping itself from spinning when you move it like ten thousand other people have already said here. That can't be it.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What you're hearing is the motion sensor stopping the drive from spinning. It has been reported on here [MR] regarding the clicking coming from newer MBP's. As long as you're careful with it, you should be fine.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Its the Sudden Motion Sensor. All good and normal.

5. lurrego thread starter macrumors member

wow, thank you very much! never would have thought it would be something like that! Although I feel relieved, I will still avoid moving it excessively, but at least I know I'll be fine moving it from desk to desk, etc.

6. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I think the biggest problem for you is that you're used to HP. They don't know how to engineer computers that can stand the test of time ;) Welcome to the "it just works" club!