Worried about my battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sarahbeth12, Jun 18, 2013.

1. sarahbeth12 macrumors newbie

I have a white, 13-inch MacBook from 2009. I know my battery needs replacing but I just don't have the fund for it right now. I'm worried though because the backing of my computer that covers the battery is starting to protrude and sticks out from the rest of the back. It makes me uncomfortable and worried that it's about to explode or something.:confused: My question is would my macbook still work if I took out the battery and just hooked up to the power cord? I plan on getting a new battery of course but I can't even afford the $20 ones on Amazon right now. Any advice? Thanks.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

First and foremost - stop using that battery. One of the cells has failed, and while it probably won't explode and/or catch fire, it's always best not to risk it. Pop that sucker out and set it aside.

Yes, your MacBook will work cheerfully enough without a battery. It does run in a reduced performance mode with no battery installed, but it will still run. To restore its full performance, you'd need to purchase a new battery. And stay away from the $20 batteries on Amazon - there are usually good (actually, bad) reasons that they are only $20.