Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Hi All,

Mid 2012 MacBook here. Worried about my fans, they are always spinning loud and when they stop I can still hear them. If I tilt my Mac I can hear a fan make a noise on the right side.

Out of warranty clearly - does it need a clean out? Will Apple do for free? Worried it might die if not addressed soon!

Thanks All!

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I don't think Apple will clean your MBP for free (normally), but you can. Pretty easy to open it up and get the lint and dust out, which might be enough.

Could be software related, though. You can try things like resetting the SMC, maybe doing a clean install of the OS.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I don't think Apple will clean your MBP for free (normally), but you can. Pretty easy to open it up and get the lint and dust out, which might be enough.

Could be software related, though. You can try things like resetting the SMC, maybe doing a clean install of the OS.

Thanks i've done all that. Software it fine. If I tilnt the Mac I can hear one of the fans ratling. Could it be broken or is it the dust itself?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Could be dust on the fan blades. You can clean the fans too. There are videos, I haven't tried it.

I doubt the fan is broken, but I suppose that could be too.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
It really is pretty easy to clean the fans and check where the noise is coming from. Removing the back cover is just pulling a bunch of Torq screws. Check out iFitit for videos.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
This isn't just a question to the OP but would an air duster work?
Not normally in my experience :)

Its not so much dust on the fan blades but more likely fluff build up on the intake/exhaust where a perfect little plug forms that's easily removed with tweezers

Just make sure you ground yourself in case you cause any static issues

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Out of warranty clearly - does it need a clean out? Will Apple do for free?
No, Apple doesn't really do things like that for free.

I would open up the back of the laptop and inspect the fans, at the very least that sort of operation isn't difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.