worried about my security

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LOUIE16, Aug 13, 2010.

1. LOUIE16 macrumors newbie

LOUIE16

hi have had my (macbook os x. v10.5.8 ) p 2ghz intel core2 duo . m2gb. for the last 18 months. My worry is that 1 wk ago when browsing my phone number came up on my screen about 4 inches high and they asked me to do something and click ok , real dumb as I am I clicked ok . it then disappeared. now I am worried , will welcome any help . thanks in advance.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

You'll probably be ok. Mac OS X is set up to only retrieve the basic information you would use when filling out a registration on the internet. The only thing I would really be worried about with your situation is getting the hell annoyed out of you by some random solicitation company :rolleyes: haha you should be fine man

3. Xenophon macrumors regular

Did you install anything and enter your administrator password at any stage? If yes you should assume your system's compromised.

Else I'm not sure I understand, was it your phone number that popped up on your screen (don't see how that could happen but OK) or your IP-address? Needless to say, you shouldn't 'just click' on anything if you're not sure what you're doing. On what type of site were you browsing?

4. LOUIE16 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOUIE16

worried about my security

hi thanks , the site was about antiques , and I got carried away , also did not enter any administrators password, but how do I know if my system is compromised what to look for and what next to do . thanks

5. Xenophon macrumors regular

If you're sure you didn't enter your administrator password then you're good, nothing really damaging could have happened. Don't worry about it. Except of course if you decided to send them your credit card details.

6. LOUIE16 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOUIE16

hi thanks ,now sleeping a lot better , still very interested on how it could happen ???????????????????????????? thanks again. ref (oh those kinds antiques ) well maybe I should not have used the word (ass) as the US members have a different meaning for that, should have said horse, no offense meant.