Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Well, the "SuperDrive" on my MacBook (white, 2GHz, 1GB of RAM) started giving me more problems than I could stand.

It was never able to burn DVDs properly. CDs burned fine, but I could never burn a disc at above 2x without the disc failing the verification process or video skipping about 11 minutes into the video. What the drive would do is, if 4x or 6x was selected for burning speed, it would spin the disc at 2x during track writing until about the 5% mark. At that point it would spin the disc up to full speed and continue writing the track. After that point, during verification, you could hear the disc spinning up and down so the drive could read through bad sectors. That is where video would start to skip and stutter as well. I had a drive that did that before on an HP system and it died after a few months of use.

Recently, the drive began to have issues reading discs. More than once I had to insert a disc 4 times for it to finally read it. Strangely enough, using those two discs later on presented no problems.

My keyboard squeaking was also driving me up the wall.

I also had a bit of a problem with the plastic on the hinge connecting the LCD to the base. It was starting to bubble a little along the back where it connects to the screen. My guess this is due to the design, seeing as how extremely hot that piece gets during regular use.

But anyway, back to my topic.

I've been reading here and at other forums. Reading how some people had their Macs gone for as long as 6 weeks!

I really hope it doesn't take that long. When the DVD drive in my HP system died, I sent it out Wednesday and they had it back to me on Friday with a new drive. Apple will have my system in a few hours. I really hope it doesn't take too long :(

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Well, the "SuperDrive" on my MacBook (white, 2GHz, 1GB of RAM) started giving me more problems than I could stand.

It was never able to burn DVDs properly. CDs burned fine, but I could never burn a disc at above 2x without the disc failing the verification process or video skipping about 11 minutes into the video. What the drive would do is, if 4x or 6x was selected for burning speed, it would spin the disc at 2x during track writing until about the 5% mark. At that point it would spin the disc up to full speed and continue writing the track. After that point, during verification, you could hear the disc spinning up and down so the drive could read through bad sectors. That is where video would start to skip and stutter as well. I had a drive that did that before on an HP system and it died after a few months of use.

Recently, the drive began to have issues reading discs. More than once I had to insert a disc 4 times for it to finally read it. Strangely enough, using those two discs later on presented no problems.

My keyboard squeaking was also driving me up the wall.

I also had a bit of a problem with the plastic on the hinge connecting the LCD to the base. It was starting to bubble a little along the back where it connects to the screen. My guess this is due to the design, seeing as how extremely hot that piece gets during regular use.

But anyway, back to my topic.

I've been reading here and at other forums. Reading how some people had their Macs gone for as long as 6 weeks!

I really hope it doesn't take that long. When the DVD drive in my HP system died, I sent it out Wednesday and they had it back to me on Friday with a new drive. Apple will have my system in a few hours. I really hope it doesn't take too long :(

Your MacBook won't take long to repair. It is the MBP that have long repair times, but I think that the issue has been resolved. Anyways, it should go like this for your repair.

Day 1: You receive the box, and ship it out in a few hours.
Day 2: AppleCare gets the MacBook and they start to repair it.
Day 2 Late: AppleCare sends your MacBook out Next Day.
Day 3: You get your MacBook.

This is how all my repairs have been. They even ship computers out at 12:00AM, they know how badly you need your computer back. Don't worry and hopefully you should get it back soon.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Your MacBook won't take long to repair. It is the MBP that have long repair times, but I think that the issue has been resolved. Anyways, it should go like this for your repair.

Day 1: You receive the box, and ship it out in a few hours.
Day 2: AppleCare gets the MacBook and they start to repair it.
Day 2 Late: AppleCare sends your MacBook out Next Day.
Day 3: You get your MacBook.

This is how all my repairs have been. They even ship computers out at 12:00AM, they know how badly you need your computer back. Don't worry and hopefully you should get it back soon.

Thats basically how it went. Except that DHL wouldn't allow me to schedule a pickup the day I received the box. They don't schedule pickups after 2:30 and I called at 2:45! So add an extra day on to that. According to FedEx, I should have my MacBook back in a few hours. Hopefully all is fixed!

Retired
May 16, 2006
I had the same Mac, and same problems (not the keyboard though)...but as my repair history is really bad (6 repairs so far, 1 counted as major) and I complained for a looooong time, I'm getting a replacement C2D 2.16 MB :)

Unfortunately this means about a week without a laptop...oh well...

I've had repairs take a day and three weeks, its just luck....So...good luck...

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
The repair time is dependent on whether Apple has the parts needed onhand. It was almost three weeks before I got my Aluminum Powerbook back after the screen was replaced. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've had my Powerbook back three days after sending it out.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I had the same Mac, and same problems (not the keyboard though)...but as my repair history is really bad (6 repairs so far, 1 counted as major) and I complained for a looooong time, I'm getting a replacement C2D 2.16 MB :)

Same thing for me too...for my iBook. I had 3 repairs in 2 1/2 weeks. First was for the mouse. They fixed it but it came back dirty and parts of the computer were coming off. When I got it back again and it was worse...I said thats it and called AppleCare. Now I get my MB 2.16GHz today!!:)

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007

Wow! 6 repairs!? I hope mine doesn't go that far! I want this to be the only time it needs to be sent in. I'd like at least 3 years to pass before something else fails.

I know it was mostly just the DVD drive right now. I'm not too worried about that. I've had enough optical drives fail on me over the years to know you either get one that will die quickly or last for years. I just hope nothing else pops up over the next few months.

Waiting on FedEx right now. Supposed to be here within the next 2.5 hours. Waiting for delivery is always the worst.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.