Worried about replacement iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rwaters28, Oct 23, 2011.

1. rwaters28 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, my old iPhone 4s had the camera rattle, so I rang up Apple and the lady said to take it back because that shouldn't happen. I'm now waiting for my new iPhone to be delivered to my carriers store. After reading numerous threads, the camera rattle seems to be normal! I'm worried that my new 4s will be faulty, is there any tips of what I should check out in store? (Once I leave I'm not allowed to have a new iPhone as Apple have a 1 day guarentee :( ) I'm worried about getting the yellow screen issue, as my old iPhone was perfect.

Thanks!

2. cababah macrumors 68000

There are so many things that could happen with your replacement. It could have a yellow screen, the home key could not line up, it could have a loose sleep/wake button or volume buttons. The battery could be worse. That is the risk you take.

That being said, I think you are making a mistake. They ALL have a camera rattle. Go to an Apple store and test the other units, you will see that they all do it. Normal. Pick your poison but you are definitely taking a risk if that was the only thing you did not like about your phone. You might need to go through at least 5 before you finally get one that is perfect and then hopefully your therapy session ends. :D

3. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

mine doesn't

----------

My replacement iPhone 4S appears to be fine in all respects (so far)

4. cababah macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Then you are either deaf or not testing it right to get the sound. If all the iPhone 4S models in 3 different Apple stores had it, that tells me it is there by design.

----------

I'd also like to add that I have been through enough of these things to realize that each one is made a tiny bit different. Most people probably won't see any difference but the really anal/OCD people will be able to tell. One iPhone's home button could not feel the same as another and that goes for all the buttons. Each screen could have a slightly different color tint. They are both running the same iOS5 but one unit could experience more program crashes. The list goes on... It is a very complex device and there are lots of tight tolerances so naturally there is some variation in production.

Some people might say it is a QC issue but in order to meet supply demands, I think they have to allow a small window of variation and that is exactly what we have been seeing not just in this iPhone but in all of them. I think everyone can agree that the manufacturing process to make the iPhone 4/4S is quite a bit more complicated than that of the 2G/3G/3GS.

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

My white 4S has no rattle at all, and I have 20/20 hearing. :rolleyes:

6. cababah macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Go visit and apple store and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, it's normal OP don't worry about it. 20 iPhones tested making the noise = normal in my book, not what some person who claims to have "20/20" hearing said lol

Not every single person will have the sound but if 9/10 do then that tells you the probability that your next phone will have it too.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

What about the rattle in the sleep wake button?

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was at the Apple Store shaking the majority of the demos and I heard no rattle. I too, was curious about this, since this (4S) will be my first iPhone.

9. Minhthien, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

Minhthien macrumors 6502

Mine does(iphone4)! But its fine! If its not broken don't fix it! :)

btw i have tested on 5s of iphone 4 and all of them got the same problem!

10. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

People who don't hear the rattle are lying, or deaf. It's there. It has been there on previous phones too.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I notice with my 4S that setting the phone down and things like that, I can hear the sleep wake button rattle.

If I hold it down, it stops so it has gotta be the sleep wake button.

Is this normal?

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

What do you all mean by rattle? Like if you shake the phone?

13. nmork macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 rattles when I shake it. I've had it since launch and haven't noticed it until reading this thread. Pretty sure it's the lock button because if I hold the button in it doesn't rattle.

Meh. I'm over it already.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Why would it be the camera that's rattling? I assumed it was the vibrating mechanism. Apparently it's linear in the 4S, so would be even easier to replicate.

15. WilliamG macrumors G3

My iPhone 4 has the camera rattle, and so does my 4S. I only really hear it when tapping on the rear lens housing. It's normal.

16. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Given that at the very least, the vast majority of 4S rattle, I think I'd be more worried if I got one that didn't, as it could mean something was in the wrong place inside the phone.

17. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

My 4 had the rattle and my 4S does as well. It's just the autofocus parts inside the camera. My DSLR lenses rattle if I shake them. It's really nothing to be concerned about.

18. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

And the sarcasm flew right over this ones head.

19. zign macrumors 6502

zign

Nice one :)

20. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Well there's your first problem. Your ears are not your eyes. At least your ears will never need glasses.

21. rwaters28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my replacement 4s today, really pleased with it! Rattle is still there but not as bad as the original one, and this time seems to be the side switches rather than the camera. Also fixed some software bugs I had! :D

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is because of forums like this that people get so anal. He you are trading a phone because when you SHAKE it, there is a rattle and scared that the replacement's screen is going to be yellow! :rolleyes:

I know people will not like my comments but these are consumer devices and if you look hard enough, there is always something not "perfect" in the eyes of some.

I hope you find your perfect iPhone, we are, at least, creating a LOT of refurbs. My Apple store in Jacksonville says they already have a good supply of 4S refurbs ready to past to the happy new owner!

23. rwaters28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a quick update, the rattle on my new iPhone seems to be the on/off switch, which I don't mind at all. Happy days! :D

24. Locodice macrumors regular

I think you'll find the "rattle" is the focus of the camera.

To test this open up the camera app and tap to focus on something far from the phone, now tap the corner the phone and you will see the "rattle" is gone.