Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I am uncomfortable to use iPhone in such configuration where top ear piece also functions as speaker. Going by Apple's recent software quality, I will always worry if the speaker volume fails to adjust and the speaker blasts off with full volume in my ears.

Maybe Apple has nailed the mechanism in thier software. But a simple thing like using a future iOS beta can cause it to malfunction and make you deaf.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Also make sure to remove your tinfoil hat before using, wouldn't want your brain being microwaved from the cell signals.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Also make sure to remove your tinfoil hat before using, wouldn't want your brain being microwaved from the cell signals.
Haha funney!!

No tin foil hat and no sarcasm as well. Just a genuine concern. I have a friend who went partial deaf in one ear because of of a similar problem.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
That little speaker would have to put out over 140dB to cause acoustic trauma. That little speaker isn't putting that out.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I am uncomfortable to use iPhone in such configuration where top ear piece also functions as speaker. Going by Apple's recent software quality, I will always worry if the speaker volume fails to adjust and the speaker blasts off with full volume in my ears.

Maybe Apple has nailed the mechanism in thier software. But a simple thing like using a future iOS beta can cause it to malfunction and make you deaf.
Maybe there's some kind of hardware failsafe switch that if it detects the face is against the earpiece, it does a hard limit to the volume or something? But yeah, I could see it going very wrong—especially if it happens while driving, even though you're not supposed to.

Reactions: d5aqoëp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.