Worried about university(rejections)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7254278, May 13, 2008.

1. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get something off my chest real quick. I am currently studying at UWIC in the UK. Not the best experience in the world. Because of this I choose to apply for transfer to some american universities and I was perhaps a tad ambitious to where I applied(an understatement). I have only gotten rejections so far.

My high school GPA was crap at only a 2.2 but I figured with my decent/good uni grades, some very good admission essays, two AMAZING recommendations, dual citizenship (american european) and being very international(multiple languages) I would get in some where.

My grades in the UK are as follows(doesnt really translate into an American GPA)

Economics- 70% A
    Marketing - 64% B
    Research Skills/Maths- 68% B+
    Information Systems- 58% C+
    Management- 61%- B
    Accounting- 47%- D+
    International Political Economy- 39% E (just passed)

Extra Curriculars

Captain of Varsity basketball team 11-12th grade
    Class Rep 12th Grade
    Yearbook graphics editor 11-12th grade
    Freshmen Course rep freshmen year university
    2 years of employment in a respected business luxuries firm

Colleges I applied to transfer:

Cornell- Rejected
    Babson- Rejected
    George Washington- Rejected
    Xavier- Waiting
    Drexel- Waiting
    Boston Uni- Waiting
    Northeastern Uni- Waiting

So far I have only received rejections and I am starting tog et very worried. Worst comes to worst I dont get in anywhere and finish my degree here. But I cant help but feel a tad lost and hopeless right now. I know it is my fault for aiming to high but I know if I do get in somewhere I will give it my best and come out with some amazing grades. Too bad I didnt try harder earlier on.

Anyway sorry for the rant I just wanted to get it off my chest. Thanks for reading

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

An opinion, would be come here to a smaller college for a year or so, get established and raise the grade point average. Some of those names require a high average dang near 4.0

3. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

I would do that, but its kinda late to apply now for transfer in the fall term isnt it.

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If you really want to go to America have you considered something like the ERASMUS scheme? I don't know how easy it is to get into but it could be another option. A friend of mine at university came from America to Manchester on the ERASMUS scheme.

Sorry, I don't have a link but you can probably find it on your Universities site.

5. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

I dont believe my university offers this scheme, I have looked into it. Thanks for the idea though.

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Not sure. Best bet would be a check on the state you would want to move to, and the schools available and their requirements.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sorry to burst your bubble but with those grades I'd be very surprised if you get in to any of those schools. Unless you've got some serious game in basketball.

I'd say you should be applying to regional state schools like western kentucky, east carolina, etc. Or if you want to go to a private liberal arts college, consider lower-ranked schools.

8. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Yea, look for options. I was very worried I might not get into any of the schools I want, so I spread myself to 3 different program options, and to 5 schools. That makes it 15 applications. Typically people only send out three. I end up getting all of them though (and wasting the application fees)

Good Luck. If you don't get in, try and try again. It's better to repeat a semester to fix your marks, than settle for something easy. You'll be glad you took the time to do it right once you're through.