Worried about well myself

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Mar 1, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So as college graduation nears I cant help but feel insecure about my ability to perform in the workplace. In short, I am intimidated by the next phase of my life somewhat.

I will be graduating with a mechanical engineering degree and have a 3.96 gpa so i do well in school. However, I have forgotten A LOT of equations and the like from classes i have taken 3-4 years ago.

I did pass the FE exam this year but cant help but think that i have forgotten a lot of stuff i had learned in my 5 years as an undergrad, not necessarily concepts but more of the fine details of the issues if you know what i mean.

Are these thoughts common or am i in fact doomed as an engineer? Any comments are welcome especially those that have been in my situation

did it work out for you or what do you advise?

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Thing to remember, you'll start learning the job when you start doing the job.

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

You will be fine.

What you need to do is get on a graduate training scheme. They will understand your situation.

Also in the real world you don't need to remember equations. You have books for that. You will not have a manager standing over you demanding that you remember a formula.

I am an electronics graduate and what companies really look for is how you apply your knowledge, not what you know. Comapanies want people who will work well within their organisation, not some geek who will sit in the corner spouting out formula.

I will admit that I am not the best engineer in the world, but I think that I work well within the organisation and I provide a lot to the company.

4. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

thanks for the consoling comments as its making me feel better about the situation. just that everything is moving so fast at the moment with graduation, job hunting, senior design, etc, that its hard to keep up in a sense

6. GirthP macrumors regular

I'm a total knuckle dragger... and I do very well for myself... you are gonna do awesome!! ;)

We fear the unknown!

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nearly ten years after I graduated and with the best part of a decade's experience, I still think that myself sometimes. ;)

I'm speaking from a design viewpoint rather than an engineering one, dukebound85 – but it's incredible how quickly you learn things once you're out in the real world working on real projects. I imagine the same is true in most professions. Ten years on, I'm still learning new stuff every day and I think that's exactly how it should be. :)

8. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I can barely remember any of the hard facts that I learned at University and it has never been a problem. As other people have said you can always check these sort of things in a book, or just ask someone you work with. Nobody knows everything about their job but hopefully between you and your colleagues you can cobble something together :D

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Okay, yeah, college teaches you things, but more importantly it teaches you how to learn things, and where to find the things you've already supposedly learned once.

Nobody remembers all that stuff all the time. Even highly specialized fields are too complicated to keep it all in. You'll find everyone relies on handbooks of formulas and the like. People remember things they've used recently. Part of being good is being agile enough to refresh yourself quickly on things you haven't used recently so as to keep rolling. You get a foundation for that in college, but you'll hone this skill with experience.

You passed the exam, and that's what the exam is for. Congratulations, and don't worry about it so much.

Incidentally, what you're experiencing is extraordinarily common. It's sometimes labeled "fraud syndrome." You get your undergrad degree and then you go to a job or grad school and you're suddenly struck with the overwhelming sensation that you don't belong there, like everybody else is really smart and competent while you managed to somehow bluff your way into graduating summa cum laude. You're every bit as good as they were, and they pretty much felt the same way when they were in your shoes. It's just natural.

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea I hope so I'm just glad I wasnt the only one who felt this way as it isnt a very comforting thought. Thanks for the encouragement :)

That is EXACTLY what im feeling and as with Jaffa Cake, I really appreciate you letting me know that this is common as it really does put my mind at ease

You guys here at MR are awesome just so you all know

11. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

..I've always wondered what it's like to work instead of go to school. Sounds weird.

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh tell me about it! this october will be the first time in like 18 years i did not have school to go to. i will feel awkward about that at first

i hope the transistion from college to work is an easy step...i hope