Worried band won't work

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Teach4, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Teach4 macrumors 6502

Teach4

I preordered a Milanese loop with watch. However now I am really worried that it won't work. My wrist measures 24cm which is 240mm. I wondered if the size measurement includes the length the the watch part? Or do you think I could figure out how to do an extender. I would really appreciate any thoughts.

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Better make an appointment and go try it out.

I did a try out Friday. My *fist* at its narrowest is very roughly 25cm and I recall the Milanese loop on the 42mm watch shipped over it fairly well (note the magnet won't come past the slot, so it is always a loop, not lay-flat, as opposed to the leather+magnet bands where you can unloop it and lay it flat). So most likely, you won't have a problem. The 38mm's Milanese strap had to be maneuvered not so easily to go over my fist, but it did.

3. HDFan macrumors 6502

Yes, best to try on. My wrist is about 200 and there was a ton of extra bracelet.

4. Teach4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Teach4

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I wondered if the measurement on the chart included the watch measurement. I will wait for it to come.

5. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

The measurement is explicit "fits wrists of ..." it includes the entire band and watch combination for the size.

You are probably going to have a problem. Best to try it on ASAP.

6. Teach4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Teach4

Thank you for your input my thought that it didn't include the watch measurement was based on the first response who said his fist measured 25cm, which is 250mm. If you take the band measurement and add the watch part then his fitting it on his fist works.

----------

I can't go try one on as it is hard for me to get to an Apple Store.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't think that it include the watch body (mainly because it specifically says 'wrist circumference' rather than 'band'), rather that Apple is being generous or a bit OCD with their sizing range - let me explain: with the Milanese loop, they say it can only fit a (~50mm?) certain range. However, the actual band length which the magnet can close on is much larger. Maybe Apple's range is the 'optimal' size for the loop (eg clasp is near the bottom of the strap, looks fairly symmetrical), but I think it may actually fit much larger or smaller wrists.

8. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'm hoping there is a lot of play in the Milanese loop, bit encouraged by some of these comments.
    It was the band I wanted as well but with the official Apple numbers making my wrist 15mm too big for it I skipped it.

It'll be a wee while before I can make the trip to my nearest Apple store to see if I can squeeze into it, which is really annoying me :mad:

9. Teach4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Teach4

Thanks everyone for your comments. I read a post online where people were ripping a poster for saying they felt they needed a bigger band than was offered. People were responding that the Apple watch was not designed for fat people like the poster. More people posted ridicule as well about the poster as well as fat people in general. I thought that was rather sad. Not everyone has the "standard" wrist size. Some have bigger wrist sizes and are not fat.

10. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Could you not detach the Milanese from the watch face itself, put onto wrist and reattach?

I guess it depends on movement and if you could just take the one part off. Also I guess this would get quite cumbersome (don't know how easy or difficult it is to remove straps).

11. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I tried the Milanese strap at my try on appointment yesterday. I was concerned how it would fit since my wrist measures approximately 200mm which is the upper limit according to Apple. The band fit me fine. The magnetic clasp at 200mm sits in the middle of the bottom of my wrist. If you have a bigger or smaller wrist it will work, but the clasp will sit off center on your wrist.

Your bigger concern should be how big your hand is. Your hand needs to be small enough to slip through the fully opened band as the clasp cannot fit through the slot as mentioned above. People with large hands may not be able to get their hands through the loop.

Interestingly even though the leather loop band is supposed to fit bigger wrists I could not get my hand through it without slipping the end of the band out of the slot and fitting it around my wrist and re-inserting the band through the slot.

12. splogue macrumors regular

splogue

That's just plain mean. If I did that to someone I wouldn't be able to sleep that night, and would publically apologize the next morning for being a jerk. For crying out loud, everyone here is a tech geek, and now we are bullying each other?

Evil, there it sits.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

My guess is the hardest part would be getting it on. The magnetic end of the loop doesn't slip through, so you need to slide your hand through the loop in order to get it on. It's a bit different from other mesh bands I've used that have a buckle in the middle.