Worried that an OTA update could brick your phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Oct 19, 2011.

?

Worried that an OTA might brick your phone?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2011.
  1. Yes

4.0%
  2. No

88.0%
  3. Kind of worried but a rebel so you'll try it anyway!

8.0%
  4. Too scared to try. All updates will be done at home.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

This would make me mad if I were out and about... Anybody thinking of just waiting til they get home to do updates instead of using over the air updates?

2. f00f macrumors 65816

You won't brick it. You could always slap the thing in DFU mode and go from there if somehow the phone magically became "unusable" during an OTA update.

The OTA update isn't committed until it is downloaded and for this you need to be on Wifi w/ more than 50% battery. If something fails during the download, guess what, it won't be committed.

OTA updates are incremental, i.e. you don't receive an entire iOS image and instead just the things that have changed. If this worries you then by all means wait till you get home and do a full update via iTunes.

3. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Nah, I'm not worried. Barring you don't try to do it on the release day of a major iOS upgrade, I don't anticipate anything bad happening. And in that case it wouldn't matter whether you were updating OTA or via the computer.

4. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm...

From what I've read you can update via 3G or cell network but your phone needs to be at 50% or better to start the process. I used the word "brick" loosely. If it were to make the phone unusable for any reason it could become rather time consuming plus you may be far from home or a place where you might have phone access until your iPhone is restored, so that's why I made this poll. I'd personally update OTA with no hesitation cause I'm just reckless like that, lol! We see people go ballistic when their phone has to be restored and it gives them problems when they're at home. Imagine the uproar we're gonna hear when the first non beta OTA update goes live and people have a problem while they're away from home! It's gonna be outrageously funny!!

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

If I recall correctly the phone will download the update in the background. When complete it will prompt you to do the update.

6. f00f macrumors 65816

Ah my mistake, looks like you're correct about not requiring Wifi.

And it requires 50% or more battery if not plugged into a power source.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Easy preventative process:

Backup via iCloud.

Update.

IF problem occurs, put into DFU and then restore using any computer that has iTunes.

Restore via iCloud backup.

Of course, this is assuming you have access to WiFi(for the iCloud backup) and access to a computer running iTunes 10.5.