Worried that I've got problems with new Retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by currins, Oct 30, 2014.

1. currins macrumors member

Hoping someone here can help. Just unboxed my retina iMac yesterday. Base model except for upgrade to 512GB SSD.

Here's my issue:

During the initial setup screens, the computer locked up on the last screen which was activating/upgrading to iCloud drive. I had selected "not now" or whatever the no option was. Then I just got beachball forever. Finally shut down computer.

When I started it back up, I went through the same questions but I couldn't name my home folder the same thing, so I basically was setting up a 2nd user account.

I've since deleted that 2nd user account and gone with the first one.

But now the computer takes over a minute to start up (it's pure SSD) and I get a black screen (not grey) with the apple logo and a white progress bar. The progress bar seems to start and restart and then I finally get to the log-in screen.

Any ideas? Worried that's something amiss, especially with the beachball/freeze at initial setup. I haven't put anything on the computer yet, so should I reload Yosemite. If so, are there easy instructions on how? Thanks!

2. Serban Suspended

Yosemite booting is now on black background with white apple logo and not grey like maveriks and earlier OS

3. currins thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. But should it be taking so long to boot? My MacBook Air with SSD is much faster. I guess I'm worried after that initial freeze up.

----------

Sorry to keep posting, but I just did a side-by-side comparison b/t the new iMac and the MBA. MBA air takes 20 seconds for full boot. New iMac took 50 seconds to get to user log-in.

I'm also getting the apple logo/progress bar twice. It gets about halfway done, then a small flicker, and then it starts again. And then finally to log in screen.

Am I just being paranoid? Do I lose anything by recovering the system/reloading Yosemite?

4. FredT2 macrumors 6502

No, it definitely should not be taking that long.

5. currins thread starter macrumors member

I reset the PRAM and boot time is down to 19-20 seconds. That seems appropriate, correct?

Should I just relax now? Would like to avoid re-installing the OS if I'm good to go.

6. lorenzen43 macrumors newbie

Having same issue

probably they didn't think people want to say no sometimes to their stupid upgrades

7. 5iMacs macrumors regular

Tried it twice on my i5/M290X/256SSD, 14.1 and then 13.7 seconds (after pressing in the power button)

8. Serban Suspended

booting to Yosemite takes around 15 sec, with just 1 user account made